Displaced avulsion fracture 5th metatarsal, surgery needed??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have a displaced avulsion fracture of the 5th metatarsal as a result of a fall 2 weeks ago. The consultant said it wasn't displaced, put me in a cast up to my knee, told me weight bearing was allowed on the heel and he'd see me in 6 weeks.

Well I've had a lot of problems with the cast causing blisters/rubbing so have been back begging for a removeable boot thinking this could give me some respite when laying still. I haven't been able to put weight on the heel anyway as it hurt too much and have even prescribed oramorph for the pain. I saw another consultant who said no way could I go in a boot as the bone was displaced so needed to be completely immobilised. He also said if it didn't set then I may have to have surgery. He appeared shocked when I said I wasn't due to see my original consultant until the 6 week mark when I was told the cast would come off. He and the nurse gave each other a look and they both commented on it being a bad break. They then booked me in immediately to see my original consultant for his next clinic in less than a weeks time (I'm due back Monday). My local hospital (Kettering, UK) has not got the best reputation and in fact my poor neighbour is suffering still 2 years on from a poorly set hand. I also know of another woman who sadly had a similar experience at the same hospital. So I'm worried, particularly when I have 2 consultants saying different things. I'm fortunate to have private health care cover (although it's limited) so am considering requesting a referral to another consultant. Can anyone recommend a good orthopaedic surgeon in the UK, either NHS or private please? I'm not sure if you're allowed to ask this question on an open forum so apologies if I'm not! But also many thanks in advance for any advice or information.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jo,

broken 5th metatarsal 10 days ago, doctor placed me in a removable cast shoe, said wait 1 week and then start putting wait on it. Lasted 1 day hated it Went back to plaster room in hospital who gave me a full cast and told me to keep off it for 2-3 weeks. I find the cast more comfortable however having trouble with blood circulation to toes when I stand up on crutches. I know how you feel being told 2 different things. Good luck paul

• Posted

Most 5th metatarsal fractures heal spontaneously. My practice is to abandon casts and boots, and simply use your own shoe (More an American practice than British)

If you have unacceptable pain, consider crutches.

[Do not over-emphasis "looks" between a surgeon and nearby staff, they are probably irrelevant, or reflect some unrelated animosity]

• Posted

Gosh some common sense here, thank you, may I ask how that philosphy has worked for you? regards Dynamitedean
    • Posted

Mmm, I've got to say I'm 5 weeks in, still in a cast and still in quite a bit of discomfort. In fact I spend most of my time with my foot elevated or else I suffer the consequences! And I don't consider myself that much of a wimp. I had 7 hrs surgery for an unrelated issue back in March and after 3 months was back to walking an hour and a half a day plus doing half out on the gym whereas some other people I know who had similar surgery were struggling wth a 20 min walk by that stage. As my local hospital doesn't have the best reputation, I've had 2 consultants say different things and I'm still struggling with pain I have decided to fork out the money for a private consultation with a orthopaedic doc I found recommended on this forum to get a second opinion to make sure I'm getting the right treatment / heading in the right direction for recovery. I couldn't bear it if at the end of 6 weeks the cast comes off and I still have problems. I'm quite active usually so this is killing me! Hope your recovery goes better.
    • Posted

A very fustrating injury, money well invested most GP's (and how can they) dont know the nuances , A foot and ankle orthpedic person will I am sure bring you on the right road. What a lot of fuss over something about the size of a thumbnail broken off from the main shaft. (mine anyway) !
    • Posted

I am not sure what you are asking, but I have treated injuries to the foot for half a century.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.