disturbed nights

Posted , 2 users are following.

i have had so many disturbed night going to the loo about 7 times between midnight abd 6am i am hardly getting any restful sleep.....I am on Lyrica for Institisial cystitis,and have been on them for about 5yrears....This medication does help a lot during the day,but obviously not at night....I have had all sorts of scans and seen Gynae,but this medication is the best that works with very little side effects,apart from gaining weight,which has always been a problem for me anyway,and skin blemishes in the form of dryness in patches.....has anyone had or got this awful condition and recovered from it, if so How please.....many thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

l was diagnosed with intersticial cystitus many years ago, there is no real cure for it, as with most inflammatory conditions, and with ic theyre still not sure if it an auto immune disease or allergic response. But there are many types of meds and procedures that help, its getting whats right for every individual. Some have frequency with little or no pain,  some have severe pain and unwell with it. few who are really ill with it doe resort to radical surgery, a last resort.  l got severe pain in my lower back hips-pelvis, and soreness stinging heat in bladder urethra, and often unwell, but my frequency not as bad as some get, maybe twice a night and every hour or two days. l,ve not heard of Lyrica, maybe if your in usa its a different name here, most commonly prescribed for all in uk is amitriptylene, its known to calm nerve ending which are inflamed and reduce output of urine, plus its a sedative elament so helps with sleeping at night, usually taken in low dose l0m per night works for ic.l was also given  cimetidine as histamine receptor, due to mast cells producing too much histamine which causes inflammation. there are lots of different meds for it, supplaments, d mannose used by many.and some urologist try installations of meds  into the bladder, day surgery.

l can ditto you with the sleep or lack of it, 2-4hrs ave, mine due to lower hip pain chronic just recently, as l usually manange with one trip nightly, 2 if l were to go 7-8hrs, l,m due to repeat script of amitrip. The c.o.b site, cystitus and over active bladder also give info and advice on all bladder probs on forum. Best wishes

• Posted

thanks for your reply lynne,i was on Amitriptylene to begin with, but i found they made me feel `woozy` all day,so my Gynae changed the meds to Lyrica,which has done the trick for me,i dont get half the horrid and painful symptoms i had beffore,but its this awful night time disturbance i get night after night,and mostly its about an egg cupful each time....i am going to try cutting out tea and coffee during the day,and i dont drink anything after 6pm anyway,so i dont understand why this is happening.Ive stopped going to my GP,as they say ive had all the tests,so theres nothing more to try.I have been given sleeping pills to see if that works,but it made no difference,i still got up 6 or 7 times....I dont like taking them anyway,but had they worked i would have taken them now and again to catch up on sleep......thanks again for your reply......ps i am in the UK.......j
    • Posted

My gp, the one who had let me go on for years with symptoms,said it was post op, re csection, then hormonal, then gyny, finally phycalogical, by which time it had affected me phycalogically, and same gp put me on 50mg amitrip, it did stop frequency, and helped me sleep but l was like a zombie, came off them after a week. Later urologist told  me you only need small dose for ic. smalled l0m, l now take them now and again, if ic niggling or not slept for 2 to 3 nts, then only take half 5mg, but only need to go 1-2 times, and thats a drag, disturbs your sleep then getting back to sleep.  with some women they go often because their bladders shrunk, due to scar tissue from inflammation, with others its more down to irritation causing frequency, my bladder size isnt bad according to urologist, holds 300-400ml. Glad youve at least improved with the pain, some people think its just frequency, but more than that for most with ic but frequency at night is a drag and tiring, l know the feeling with docs, l dont like going at all, last resort, due to the years of symptoms and no diagnosis and casual attitude to add to it, makes you feel worse, lgot a lot more sense and bette attitude from urologist, and have wrote to him when lve had probs, he,s replied with a decent attitude,  anyway  hope you find solution to help my eyes are drooping now with lack of sleep, so say many l guess.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.