Disulfarim and Alcohol free toiletries and sunscreen

Posted , 5 users are following.

Is there an already compiled list available for these 100% alcohol free items?  I have searched the net and cannot find one.  Have eventually found some alcohol free toiletries but struggling with the sunscreen and my husband (patient) is going on holiday to the sun soon.  Thanks in advance for any advice given.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andrea,

To the best of my knowledge there isn't any type of listing.

I would imagine this might be because the list could go out of date very quickly if the manufacturer of a product changed their ingredients.  For example, if there was a list then last week a particular brand of sunscreen may not have alcohol, but tomorrow it may if they change the way they make it.

You would then be led to buy that product thinking it is okay and on day 1 of holiday, your husband would have an extremely serious reaction to it - potential hospital and ruined holiday.

I think either just keep searching, or try emailing some of the major companies and ask them if they do an alcohol-free product.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Joanna.  You would think with a medication that had such serious interactions with a substance that is found in everyday items, there would be some kind of support group or online advice readily available.  I will keep searching.  Sanex advertise 100% alcohol free products and Mum deodourant also, but shampoo, shower gel and soap are not so easy to find.  Sunscreen was something I suddenly remembered he would need.
  • Posted

andera...I don't know any lists either.

But, this drug your husband is on IS very dangerous.

I was prescribed Campral for cravings (having tried Antabuse in the past) and I DRANK on it and was hospitalized.  Campral for me....stops all cravings...and I don't have to be freaked out about anything containing alcohol.

The drug he is on is also bad for the liver....make sure he gets the liver function checks periodically.

• Posted

Thanks for replying.  This is not the first time my husband has had this medication.  Unfortunately last time he thought he could manage without it but gradually slipped off the wagon.  He has had Campral but found it did nothing for him and he knows that Disufarim is the only one....while he takes it :-(  Once before he took a secret drink thinking 10 days was long enough after last taking the medication, but he went blotchy, heart racing, breathing difficulty (anaphyllaxis basically).  He learned the hard way.  He has liver blood tests monthly anyway as he is on lots of meds for his rheumatoid arthritis.  This medication is a last resort and it effects the whole family.  Going out for meals is horrendous, and trying to participate with household chores can be tricky just in case there is alcohol in the cleaning fluid.  A list would make life so much easier :-(
    • Posted

what a good way to get out of cleaning!  I should tell people I am on this drug...LOL.

Sorry, not to make humor of your situation....

I just hate seeing somone on this medication it is so horrendous in itself.

And yes, reactions occur for a long period of time after stopping the medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.