Diuretics help with my migraines

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I have had migraines for 25 years which lasted for up to 4 days. Several years ago I started taking low dose diuretics for border line blood pressure and I noticed my migraines were less frequent and less severe.

I started tapering off diuretics because my BP is normal and guess what, migraine back with a vengeance.

Might be worth looking into.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Julliannah

That's interesting but it is to do with the pressure of blood flow anyway. That would make sense.

I've had migraines since I was a child. And I suffer with low blood pressure too.

Liz🤔

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth

I don't know the science of it, all I know is that they definitely helped with my migraines. I specifically asked my doctor if I could stay on diuretics because they prevented my migraines and he didn't challenge me about it.

Recently I tried tapering off them but I had a bad migraine, this is my third day with it. I am going back to taking them now. The reason for trying to taper off them is that I am taking anxiety med also.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that diuretics are a migraine cure but because they have worked for me, they might work for someone else. I just think it is something to look into with your doctor. Obviously if you have low blood pressure diuretics may not be suitable for you. Also, like all meds there are side effects.

When you suffer with migraines like I have you have weigh it all up and make choices.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Juliannah, neurologist prescribed for Candesartan Cliexetill, which is also used for lowering blood pressure, the first week, my migraines reduced, then I had acid problems, so my migraines become intense again, pressure went really low, so stopped,re started again, U have to say this is the only medication to help, I've tried everything..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.