Diuretics stopped my migraines

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I used to suffer with migraines badly but when I started.taking low dose diuretics for border line blood pressure my migraines stopped. Might be worth checking it out. Best wishes.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm curious if that would work for me. Ive been suffering from migraine for the past year and a half but for the past year I have had trouble with going to the bathroom (hope thats not too much info Lol). I think I have been retaining too much water. Did you just do OTC diuretics?
    • Posted

Hello,

I didn't try over the counter water tablets because I had no reason to think these would help with my migraines. It was when I visited the doctor for reasons I cannot remember, he told me my blood pressure was border line and he gave me tablets for it. They disagreed with me and when I went to the pharmacy to collect my prescription at one time I mentioned this to her and she took my BP which was low. She suggested going back to my GP to change them for diuretics which were milder. I did and my GP put me on bendroflumethiazide 2.5 mg. It was after this I noticed my migraines became less often to the oint now I hardly ever get one. I used to get real bad ones that used to last several days more than once a month. I have read that diuretics play a part in migraine relief and all I can say is that they work for me. I hope you find relief, I know how horrible they are. Best wishes 😊

• Posted

it's probably because you had fluids or some bleed in the head cos diuretics take these fluids and drain them out which takes pressure off the brain 

it's just a guess cos that's what diuretics do 

• Posted

Hello,During a migraine attack blood vessels enlarge causing the nerves to release chemicals that cause migraine.

By using a diuretic it is possible that it is short circuiting the 'migraine electrical storm'. This would reduce electrolytes and sodium among other components that neurons need to transmit messages including pain.

Like I said, they work for me.

Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.