diverticilitis of sigmoid

Posted , 6 users are following.

Anyone had deep pain behind hip bone going into back. 16 days of antibiotics, 7 of which intravenus in hospital. Unable to stand or walk for a while. I have a fluid filled sack on the sigmoid bowel. Any information appreciated.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi my mum had a 18 year history of DV and about 3years ago developed UC lots of scans and cameras tests loose frequently going to the loo. Dull and sharp pain in the tummy and mucus stool.

The sigmond is the u bend before the last curve out and this seems to be a problem area. She has a bag now op was less than 3 weeks ago if your over 50 you have a 50 percent chance of having DV and that goes up with age the pockets can get infected and lead to abscesses

• Posted

Yes i am 58 and this is the first flare up i have had. I have had one ct scan when i was hospitalized and due for another on 8/1/16

They say there is a fluid filled sack in the sigmoid so i am guessing this is why my inflammatory markers are up and i have this pain deep inside groin/hip/leg area. But honestly sick of taken 6 antibiotics a day. X

• Posted

Your blood ESR will be higher as this shows infection in the body. High fiber diet no seeds or things like that in your grub as this can find its way into the diverticulitis
    • Posted

How long and what antibiotics are you taking?

Sometimes these are needed to be taken for a few weeks

• Posted

Metronidazole and ciprofloxacin for 2 weeks
    • Posted

Hope all goes well for you. Don't drink alcohol with metronidazole
  • Posted

Hi, I've often had deep back pain either just preceding or during a diverticulitis flare up. Generally, the only thing that alleviates it is painkillers (which I assume you're on) and a hot water bottle. I've had 4 flare ups since August and also feel like I've been living on antibiotics. Am now taking lepicol (probiotic and bulk forming laxitive) as well as Senna tablets and plenty of fluid each day, as well as a high fibre diet. Bit of trial & error to get the balance right to prevent flare ups.
    • Posted

Thanks sharon. I am drinking loads and going to the bathroom quite easily. Consultant said to have weetabix and a glass of cold water on a morning. Its the back/hip pain thats dragging me down can't weight bear for long, yet i can sit and lie without discomfort.
    • Posted

The ice water in the mornings before anything else is good as it kick starts your bowels. Also worth a try its to add a squeeze of lemon juice

If you want to test your transit time eat fresh beetroot and this will be strong in your stool

Good luck

Andy

• Posted

Thats a good idea about the beetroot as i wonder about the transit time and what foods cause my inflamation.Lepicol has been my savour,its available at Holland and Barrat and health food shops.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.