Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone have this.  Need some info.

thks

lynda

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Yes I have this but only mildly.

Basically you need to eat more fresh fruit and vegetables and exercise more.

Try prunes.. If you don't like them eat another fruit. Liquorice is also good.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah...not that you asked for any advice, but just wanted to offer a little friendly advice. I also wanted to let you know how fortunate you are to have mild case. I am 44 and never had a Single warning prior to my 1st attack. I have tryed over and over this past year to get healed up and have still not been successful..I m calling to meet with surgeon in next couple weeks. Take advantage of the fact that you got an early warning and fill your diet with fiber....metamucil daily high fiber oatmeal daily and stay hydrated. The more fiber, the more water u should drink. Stay ahead of this battle-because it's terrible to handle when it's not mild. At first sign of any constipation or slight tenderness try prune juice...4-6 oz. Bump up fiber. Good luck to you☺
  • Posted

Beyond Sarah's good advice, what other info are you seeking? 90% of this disorder caused by excessive straining.
  • Posted

I don't think you are right there ann and nick. Piles are caused by overstraining not Diverticulitus. I have Diverticulitis and was diagnosed a few years ago and to begin with I was a bit frightened. The diverticuli are stronger than you think, so don't go frightening yourself lynda by Googling. What info are you looking for? If your consultant has performed an endoscopy - which is the only way this disease can be detected - then he should have advised you re diet. Don't eat anything that gives you too much gas. Eat healthily and drink a lot of water. Let me know what info you need and I will try to assist.
    • Posted

Your not quite correct ElaineA, i Had a ''Catscan'' and that diagnosed diverticulitus, don't have to have endoscopy to define it...
    • Posted

I was never offered a Catscan. However I think I had to have an endoscopy as I have a history of pollyps in the bowel so I suppose that's why the consultant told me I had to have an endoscopy and came back with the diagnosis of diverticulosis. I didn't mean to mislead. There does need to be some sort of investigation and it certainly isn't caused by straining.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed almost a year ago. Not sure what exactly you want to know. But I am willing to offer anything that might be of help.
    • Posted

Thank you for your responses.  My pain is always in the lower left quadrant. I am not sure what to eat these days.  Also do you experience diarrhoea or constipation with this?

thks for your help.

lynda

• Posted

Well mine has been complicated to say least. My pain has always been left sided. Navel area and out like deep bad side ache from walking too fast, sometimes tightening sometimes stabbing. I tryed to eat even just can carrots or chicken noodle soup unsuccessfully for 12 weeks. Then all of a sudden I finally tolerated. Then started adding pudding yogurt jello applesauce ice cream mashed potatos eggs. During that time I would have some pain off and on, sometimes worse. Backing off and sometimes just going back to liquids. Lots of gas x pills and tums.takes lots of patience and when something works or doesnt...keep track and write it down. I could go on and on but I guess I'll stop there amd lrt u ask more questions if you have them.
  • Posted

Pain in the lower left is common, but it should settle down. I have had Diverticulosis for about 8yrs now and I have it well under control. Loose stools and constipation is common, but your doctor should have prescribed you Fibogel which will help this. If he/she hasn’t then go and ask for it. Also drink plenty of water. There is a common thought that one should avoid any food with pips. My consultant says this is not the case and in 20+ years he has never come across a pip either stuck or festering in the diverticuli.

If the pain in the lower left persists and is acute, go to your GP. You may need a course of antibiotics as one or more diverticuli may have become inflamed as some undigested food has not moved  from the diverticuli and has caused this. It will move, it has just caused a bit of trouble for the time being. Please ask if you need any further info. Take care and let us know how you get on. smile

• Posted

Don't eat nuts, the can get clogged in one of the pouches of the colon..
  • Posted

I don't know why my previous reply is being moderated there are no links in it sad
  • Posted

My earlier reply is now there Lynda, the moderators have posted it in full. I hope you find it helpful.
    • Posted

Thank you ElaineA.  Very helpful.  Do you know what colon spasms are and how would you describe them.

thks

lynda

• Posted

It is my understanding, as per my consultant, it is like the bowel contracts and relaxes, much like muscles can do. Does that make sense?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.