Diverticulitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

As most or all of you have this dreadful complaint (myself included) unfortunately there is not real ''Cure''  Taking Fibogel sachets once a day definately makes the stools soft and should eradicate the painful bowl movements, also avoiding ''Nuts and pips'' will definately help too.

Drinking lots of water will also help being dehydrated is not healthy or doing you any favours with this condition.

Diverticulitis can in ''Very Extreme'' cases cause death, if the Colon bursts by becoming so badly infected, so using the sachets and drinking water regularly will certainly help prevent that scenario..

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Terry, I also have diverticular, I have no flare ups but being totally frank now, my poo gets trapped in the diverticular pouches and causes me to constantly have to strain violently on the loo as otherwise I am in extreme discomfort.  I agree I find drinking about four beakers of iced tap water, something I've started doing recently and now determined to keep up, is helping a little, I also have a prolapsed bowel so in a sense have double the problems, however I must say the fibrogel sachets gave me such chronic diarrhoea that I was unable to use them effectively, I have a dread and loathing of and am frankly repulsed by diarrhoea, so it was no use, they didn't as it says on the packet "bulk up" my stools at all, simply gave me chronic diarrhoea, so I had to leave them off, I suppose what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another, and we have to shop around for remedies, but yes, with you wholeheartedly on the tap water.  Best wishes, Fiona
    • Posted

Incidentally Terry, I always have ice in my water and straws and a very attractive glass as tap water can be so bland, and all these things help to make it more palatable for me, I call it my dose of "tap dance water" lol 
  • Posted

HI TERRY

My father sufferedcd from diverticular. He had an operaton which stretches the bowel and then it shrinks. he was much better afterwards. talk to your g.p. dont be fobbed off.

• Posted

Hi Terry

Just came back from a CT scan at the hospital.

They could not see diverticulitis but I have extensive diverticulosis and a large pocket in the sigmoid area. They told me to go back to Surgeon. In the meantime struggling with constipation and diarrhea. I think I am going to see a Naturopath.

I don't know what the Surgeon can do at this time if no infection was seen.

Vivian

• Posted

Hi Vivian,

Well the fact that the sigmoid is not inflammed and the fact that the scan hasn't revealed anything ''Untoward'' apart from the Diverticulosis is a positive thing. 

You probably already know that 80% of the population has diverticulosis at some level, but only 20% of us have any real issues with it. The only real answer is the control and managment of it,, there is no cure for this I'm afraid..

Drinking water, moderate exercise, and watch the food intake, are the best helpers. 

Visiting a Naturopath, to me would be a waste of time and money.

terry

• Posted

Dieticians are there for ''Fools and the guidance of wise people'' So if u wish to use one that is your prerogative..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.