Diverticulitis pain

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi, I started with a flare a week ago and I’m on my last day of antibiotics today, I was feeling much better yesterday with no pain but today not feeling to good

A mild pain has returned on lower left side, Does anyone else experience this coming to the end of the antibiotics treatment; as I’m getting worried is the infection returning. 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Thomas, probably best to see your doctor if you're still getting pain despite finishing the antibiotics. I'm just recovering from a bad flare up and was given a 7day course of Metronidazole. I still don't feel fully better and trying to eat healthily and taking multivitamins. It's a nasty disease and have found stress can trigger a flare up. Be kind to yourself and try to eliminate as much stress as is possible from your life. Wishing you well, Janie.

• Posted

Many thanks; if it’s no better by tomorrow I will go to the doctors as for stress I don’t thing that’s my problem, like you I’m just fed up with it but I will keep trying. It makes me feel very weak. Thank for your input. Tom 
    • Posted

I relate to every one who thinks this pain just goes away.  The healing process seems slow to me also and I always thought I was a fast healer.  The antibiotics and disease have lowered my energy level by about 1/2.

I am so not used to this.

• Posted

Hi Thomas, I think that the antibiotics kill all the infection, but also upset the natural balance of good bacteria in the gut, which takes a while to get back to normal. Also I assume that there is still some soreness there even after the infection has gone. For this reason I would give it a bit of time to settle, and stick to simple to digest foods, for a week at least.

However, if the pain becomes bad go back to your doctor as a precaution.

• Posted

Hi, yes it is still very sore and I intend to on being careful for another week.

manyt hanks Tom

• Posted

This happen sometime the antibiotics will still be in your system just eat very light meals and plenty of water .
    • Posted

Hi, as I’m new to this problem and I’m not sure how I should be by now and what you say make sense. I take easy for another week and hope it gets better.

Many thanks Tom

• Posted

I've been advised it take a while for your intestine to heal and slight pain is normal.  If your fever is gone (if you had one), you are probably OK, but go back to doc if getting worse.  Did they do a CT scan?

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your comments, yes I did have a scan but no fever it just confirmed Diverticula’s. I just wonder how long it takes to heal and if any one has been able to bring this problem under control and I would like to know how long before I can do some mild exercise, as yesterday I felt brilliant, felt stronger and really well and went shopping with my wife but today had no energy and very tired, and the pain was giving some problems in the night but not severe and is a bit sore now. Thanks Tom 
    • Posted

I think everyone is different and all of our time back to normal varies.  I don't do sick well and tend to just blow through the pain.  But my body fights me back to I just take it a little easier.

• Posted

I am having problems with the same thing.

I am on 2 diff antibiotics 5th day and pain seems to have lessened quite a bit but seems to return more mildly at times.

How long did it take to recover ?

• Posted

Hi

Unfortunately this is a disease with quite a long recovery time and you are at the beginning.  The antibiotics are quite fierce and wipe out both the good and bad bacteria.  After my 1st attack, it was about a month before I felt back to normal.  But as I have had further attacks, the recovery period and ongoing niggling pain does take longer to go.  There are good days and bad days, but I have got there eventually.  Once the infection has gone, there is still inflammation inside you that needs to heal. 

I am guessing the antibiotics are doing their job at present.  You should be on liquids at present to give your bowels a rest, and when the antibiotics are finished you can slowly introduce real food, but low fibre.  For example, mashed potato, steamed white fish, grilled chicken, crustless white bread, scrambled egg, plain yogurt.  Then slowly start to reintroduce soluble fibre, cook your food well, chew thoroughly and eat small meals.  All not to overload your bowels.  If the pain flares up again, keep a food diary, go back onto fluids for 48 hours and if it worsens go back to the doctor.  You'll find lots of helpful information on this site.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply!

I guess I really didn’t realize this was something I am going to live with.  I was diagnosed with this a few years back and was put on antibiotic and it seemed to clear up immediately and so I really didn’t give it any more thought.  This time it was back in July my lower left abdomen was hurting and I didn’t realize what it was.  I scheduled  an appointment with my gyno and she found nothing after a clear test and very painful ultrasound.  Next I scheduled an appt with my regular md and he sent me to a physical therapist (also had been recommended by my gyno).  My reg dr gave me biodentical hormone cream and sent me to the PT and a book on back care.  Things were a little better for the next month and then started to get worse.  After visits with the PT she said it was my iliopsoas muscle.  Now it looks s December and I was still having pain so I went back to my reg MD after making calls to my gyno as well and he gave me 2 antibiotics.  No diet restrictions.  Found that out the hard way.  I am feeling better but my lower left abdomen just feels a little sore still and I am worried it’s coming back.  I still have 3 days of antibiotics.  Thank you for your response and advice on diet restrictions.  

• Posted

Sounds like you are being shoved from pillar to post, with nobody bothering to pick up on your original diagnosis and just trying everything on a hit and miss basis.  Low left pain is a classic symptom of DD.  But it is not nearly so common in younger women (I mean under 50) which is why it is often overlooked.  If this is DD, and it certainly sounds like it, you will have pain on and off for at least a month.  Fear of it returning is also very typical at the beginning. 

It's if it gets worse you need to take action, and make sure whoever you see knows you have DD and what you were prescribed for it.  One test done was to palpate the tummy firmly and I got hot spots of pain, where I was told  the infected DD were (after being scraped off the ceiling).  "Oh yes, definitely an infection" he said.  But the low grade niggling pain is the inflammation slowly dying down.  If you cut yourself, it scabs over, the outside is red and inflamed and tender to touch, until it fully heals over, even after any infection has gone.  Same principle.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery, after a correct diagnosis.

• Posted

I also find that sitting at my desk still seems to cause some of the pain in my abdomen.  I hope he is treating me for the right thing and this is not adhesions or something else. 
    • Posted

Thank you again for your advice! So appreciate you.  I have pushed deeply in to my stomach and felt a really sore spot.  I will continue the antibiotics and follow your recommendation for liquid diet and start gradually with low fiber.  How long have you been recovered and do you watch your diet?

No nuts or anything like that?  Also did you have problems with your low back also?  Seems it will go from your lower left abdomen and go to the lower back at times but primarily stays in lower l ft abdomen. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.