Diverticulitus

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello, Im 39 and  new here and have a question. I have just bee recently diagnosed with diverticulitus and am now done with the antibotics. My question is can i drink alcohol now or ever again, i havent had any alcohol in 2 weeks and am fine with that just curious, Thanks in advance

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I am also newly diagnosed (November) and today I ate out for the first time and have had a few drinks. All ok so far so fingers crossed. Tomorrow might be a different story.

• Posted

Hi, I am also newly diagnosed (November) and today I ate out for the first time and have had a few drinks. All ok so far so fingers crossed. Tomorrow might be a different story.

• Posted

Than you for relying to my post. I was just diagnosed 2 weeks ago, feeling much better. We have plans to watch the game with some friends and am scared to try a drink, but like to enjoy a few with friends if that makes sense. Might just try and see. Thanks again
  • Posted

At two weeks you just finished your antibiotics. I have had this condition for going on 15 years now and my last attack was about 5 weeks ago. Havent had a drink since then and am just now starting to think about it.

At 2 weeks your guts are still pretty messed up. I would hold off a bit longer but that's up to you. Good luck. Jim

• Posted

Hi just seen your post I wouldn't think alcohol has a part in the diverticulitis that's more for the liver to be damaged I had diverticulitis abcess which burst and needed a major operation. Obviously I didn't drink when I was ill but have now been having the odd weekend drink I did read up about drinking and it says in moderation so I hope this helps kind regards Mary

• Posted

Hi Mary my mum had this and now has a bag it was a worrying time. The absess all got stuck down to the pelvic area. She is still having scans every 6 mths just to make sure it's nothing nasty. We knew nothing of this at the time but is this same as you

Andy

• Posted

Hi Andy hopefully your mum is recovering well I did have the same with my pelvis was all entwined I've also got a bag since June copeing well but very restricted in going places. So I understand your mum's worrying I can have a reversal just waiting for the appointment now but you get to change your lifestyle as it's hard to live with. Is your mum having to have a permanent bag or is she ok to have a reversal.

Mary

• Posted

She had the op just over a year ago and since recovered well and has put in the weight she lost. They said they could look at a reversal but mum is 78 and has been pleased to get her life back do has decided to stick with the bag and also had samples from companies which seem to suit better than the nhs ones. It's the risk of a much longer op to resection and the recovery again that she wants to avoid. And she has spoke to others who had this and hasn't worked so they then have gone in again to go back to the bag. I think it has a success rate of 70 percent.

• Posted

Yea I totally agree if she's happy to live with it and she can cope that's a bonus. I'm 47 and will try the reversal but as you say it can be complications with it and be worse off. If I'm not happy with how the reversal goes I will ask for the bag again as getting used to it and it's not a problem but I'm still young and am willing to give it a go. It's something that I will live with or without but worth trying first.

Mary

• Posted

Yes I think your right to give it a go at this age for sure. Don't know your area but were under Colchester. I sent you a pm so I hope you get it

• Posted

Hi Andy I did get your message and have replied through tx my phone if you received it 😊

• Posted

I'm guessing every case is different, however I don't seem to have a problem with alcohol in moderation. I try not to exceed recommended guidelines on units per day and I measure my drinks carefully. I drink generally two units of whisky or gin most days with no discernable Ill effects. However you must decide for yourself what is best for you.

• Posted

Hi there,I do think it's different for every one,I find wine makes me ill even if it's put in a sauce, I think in moderation you will be fine but take it slow at first and see how you are,good luck and stay healthy.

• Posted

Hi, hope youre feeling better after the antibiotics. I find alcohol causes me problems since my DD advanced, however I do suffer constant pain anyway especially in the morning so I now avoid alcohol. I did have a little over Christmas on Christmas day however i was awake with pain and more diarrhoea so will avoid now . Good luck x
    • Posted

Caroline get on psyllium husk twice per day and you will stop any further flare ups.
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for that however was on this 2 years ago and caused me more problems than help so was advised to stop taking. My problem is daily uncomfortable pain and many frequent trips to the loo. During the night I am awake alot , this is not going away . I still havent found a diet that suits me but have found alcohol is a no no so stay away from it  .  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.