Divitulitus

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi there can anyone tell me if you get bad breath with this condition my hubby say when it flares up my breath is bad I've been adding to my diary when he says my breath is bad 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I don't think that I had bad breath when I suffered from diverticulitis. I do know that my mouth would be a bit dry but never really noticed that but again I was more focus on the discomfort and pain I was experiencing. Drink a lot of water, and brush your teeth and even your tongue cause a lot of the sickness would stay on your tongue which may cause the bad breath. 
  • Posted

Weird, I haven't experienced that. The antibiotics definitely would leave a bad taste in my mouth, and I'm sure my breath would be bad from that. I guess that's another thing I'll have to look out for. I've been using these time release peppermint capsules for IBS, called IB guard. It's over the counter, but it helps when my stomach starts cramping. Oddly enough after taking it, and burping- it tastes like peppermint. Sometimes overwhelmingly so, but I'll have to ask my fiancé if I get bad breath. :-/
  • Posted

Hello Julie, Well I think bad breath goes with the illness.  When the gut is infected and unhealthy it can have all sorts of other effects.....and antibiotics also affect the gut which in turn affects our breath.  I get horrid tastes in my mouth too.  The least of our worries!!!  I take Acidophilis 20 billion from Holland and Barrett (England) and this should help your gut settle quicker; to get that lovely fresh kissable mouth back quicker!  I found it kept my bouts of DD at bay for months on end too.  And of course the no seeds, no nuts, no pips, no wholegrains, no skins rule to keep those pesky little "bits" from getting into the pockets and festering to cause the infection in the first place!!
    • Posted

Oh my Hank you so much , will take the acidophilus and yes found out about the seeds the hard way 😊So glad I found this site xx
  • Posted

Hi Julie, I have only just been diagnosed this week after one attack, did not know what it was, thought it was appendix, Dr sent me to A and E where that was ruled out.  Had to go back to Dr and she thinks it is diverticulitis and put me on to antibiotics and suggested the clear diet, but prior to this my husband had commeted on my bad breath as well and I now wonder whether this was the first sign, also have a horrible taste in my mouth, sort of matalic.  just over half way through my antibiotics and one day into the clear diet, still in pain but not quite so bad so hoping that it is easing up.  Should be in Tenerife at the moment, had to cancel as was in so much pain a week ago, could not sit in a chair for any length of time, bit worried in booking to go again in the future as this seems to some out of the blue with no warning.  Very glasd to have found this group as Dr was in such a rush to finish the consultation did not give to much information, best wishes to everyone who is suffering 
    • Posted

Oh thank you yes I've finally got diagnosed this week it's took 3 years !!! Finally got there but it's horrid 
  • Posted

Did they stick you on gentimicin by any chance? That gives metallic taste in mouth. Especially given intravenously. The bad breath could come from the guts most definitely. I get nauseous. I thrown up at times too. My mum was at times so blocked or perhaps intestines were so twisted or swollen she throw up and poop at same time. It was total stop inside of her and spilling out both ends if it makes sense. I never wonder why people don't talk too much about this illness in public after what I seen. It's not exactly dinner conversation topic.😂😁😂😁. Make sure you are not constipated and drink lots, and lots of water.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.