Dizziness, cottonwool head, confusion for 5 weeks. Help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been suffering with dizziness, cottonwool head and confusion for about 5 weeks now. I have had episodes of diziness before, the worst in 2010 and 2012 but they have never been bad for more than about four weeks.This time the dizziness is less sevre, but I have been confused, mixed up and transposing words. In the oast stemitil has worked, but not this time. I have also been on cinnarizine and benzodiazepine but niether have helped. In 2012 a consultant diagnosed migraine associated vertigo, but he said he was not convinced that's what it was because episodes are so long and the only readon he was diagnosing it was because all other options were coming up negative in the vestibular tests. I think this is probably as a result of a viral infection and it just drags on and on. If it is viral Labrynthitus, what else could help? exercises? I feel like it is probably not BPPV because positional vertigo is not my major issue (although it has been in past episodes). I have now been of wor 4 weeks and wlthough it has improved, its still not good. I am scared to go back to work in case by not resting, I just end up back at squre one. Do people find resting really inproves symptoms, or is it more a time issue? I work full time and have young kids, so need to get back to work, but also need to get better! Thanks

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Do you experience migraine?

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Yes I do suffer with migraine, but I though migrane associated vertigo, was short lived. I have only had one migraine over the last 6 weeks, in which I had all my usual symptoms.
    • Posted

It may well be vestibular migraine.  Have you tried migraine-specific medications, such as Triptans.

• Posted

Would those symptoms last continualy for a number for many weeks? I haven't tried those medications although some were recomended last time - but by the time that had happened syptoms were gone. I will speak to my G.P about that. I did have a viral thing to start with, could that be a trigger? Should I have the normal vestibular fucntion tests to check nothing else? Thanks so much.

• Posted

A vestibular migraine episode should not last longer than 72 hours.  What tests have you done up to now?

• Posted

I have had this for 4.5 weeks with a couple of days in the middle where I felt okay, so much longer than 72 hours. I haven't had any tests recentlybut in 2011 I had a balance organ assessment, MRI scan and hearing assesment and all were normal. 

It seems to get worse in the middle/later in the day. I have tinitus when I wake up and in the evening, but not in the middle of the day, also feeling exhausted, but not sure if that's the stemitil, which I have been adviced to continue taking, although it doens't seem to be having an impact. I have now been advised to do Brandt and Daroff exercises. 

Thanks so much

• Posted

The possibility of a peripheral polyneuropathy passes through my mind, which could explain the normal ear tests and MRI.  Have you had blood tests done?

• Posted

Sounds like you need the usual tests to rule out other problems. MRI of brain and inner ear, VNG, audiogram. App with a neurotologist.
    • Posted

The Dr said, as I had an MRI in 2012, I don't need another one, but my symptoms are different this time around.

• Posted

Same here. My symptoms are more severe than in the past and wont go away. Vestibular rehab and doing the excersises did nothing.

• Posted

This bout, 6 months. On and off for 11 years. Usually they last 3 to 6 months.
  • Posted

Hi

Have you done Brandt Daroff exercises? If it's BPPV you will know which ear it is as you will get dizzy.

I think Labrynthitus is the one where you get antibiotics as it's due to an ear infection, but might be wrong, I'm new to this.

I totally understand your concern about work and kids as I'm in the same boat. However I'm forcing myself to go in because I can't afford the time off (single parent). I just walk slowly and turn slowly and try not to get stressed as it makes things worse. . I think people say the best thing to do is keep moving so the brain learns to compensate the mixed signals it's getting. On saying that my favourite day of the week is now Sunday where I can just rest! My anxiety is through the roof 😢

• Posted

How long have you had your syptoms? So tough with kids. Labrytntitis can be viral or bacterial - so I am thinking what I have is viral. 
    • Posted

Just over 4 weeks but I think I'm slowly beginning to feel better (hope so anyway). Still waiting for MRI date and ENT appointment can take months to come through 😩

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.