Dizziness, weakness, fatigue etc please help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I have posted a couple of times before but thought I would collate all of my symptoms into one thread and see if anyone could help shed some light on what this could be. Sorry if this is lengthy.

Around 5 weeks ago I started having severe dizziness, I felt like I was costantly swaying and I was unable to walk or sit comfortably. I had no other symptoms apart from a mild nausea.

I went to the doctors after a week and was told I had ano ear infection and BPPV. However after looking at a full list of symptoms it didn't add up. The following week I went back and was told I had a 'balance disorder' I was signed off work again and told to rest. I was given blood tests and I am not diabetic or anemic. They said the full blood count test came back as borderline high so I will be repeating this 14th February.

I also noticed in times of high contrast, for example in the evening if I am watching tv and there is white or light writing on a dark background I see a ghost image above it. It does get worse when I am tired and by making myself tear up a bit and blinking it seems to ease off a bit. I went to the opticians today and although they weren't able to take pictures of my eyes as they are very light sensitive (this is normal for me) they said my eyes are very healthy and no glasses or treatment needed.

I also went to the doctors again and was told that I may have had a virus (even though I didn't feel ill) and was signed off again and told to rest. That was last Thursday, since Saturday I noticed that my right arm was sore, nothing on the skin to show an injury. It feels like sunburn but it isn't. This goes from just below my elbow and spreads down to my little finger and is especially painful on my wrist. It gets worse throughout the day. Today this has also started on my left arm accompanied with some weakness. I have also noticed the past couple of weeks my left ankle feels slightly weak. I do occasionally get weakness in the left side of my face and also sometimes feel like my words are coming out differently. My boyfriend said he cannot notice anything.

Other things to note -

About a week ago I had what I can only describe as an electric shock in my head. It lasted for about 3 seconds but was so scary and I was left feeling very tired after.

I am tired a lot, even if I sleep well I am exhausted by the afternoon.

I do find it difficult for my eyes to keep up with fast moving objects like text scrolling on the TV or a fast car driving past.

I am a 23 year old female, I do suffer with anxiety/health anxiety so I believe my symptoms are being made worse by this.

I have had a couple of headaches recently but nothing too serious.

I feel like I am forgetting things a lot and getting confused, which is only making my anxiety worse.

I feel like no one is taking me seriously, I am constantly stuck indoors crying my eyes out and so worries I have something like ALS or MS.

Please note the dizziness has improved greatly but is still there.

I'm so sorry for the long post I'm just having no joy finding out what is wrong and want to know if anyone has experienced the same thing.

Thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If you are not on any medications that could have side effects it does sound like symptoms that many anxiety sufferers get.
    • Posted

Thanks for replying. I'm not on any medication so I'm hoping it is just anxiety. I might request a neurologist referral just to ease my mind

• Posted

Hi Dee your symptoms seem to be all over the page.  It's not ALS for sure.  I would advise you to get a copy of your blood work and see what's borderline high.  Especially your platelets and hematocrit. There is a blood disorder called polycythemia Vera which causes many of your complaints.  If your blood work checks out ok then you should have an MRI.  And lastly get on anti-anxiety meds.  They help a lot.  Good luck. Zap

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.