Dizzy when I lie down

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I'm on month 17 now having and have been doing VRT since last September. I was seeing good results after doing VRT for 3 months the caught a throat and cough virus which knocked me back right to the beginning. I'm still trying to progress through VRT to where I got to.

Since my setback every time I lie down in bed, I'm really dizzy. It's not spinning dizziness but being on a boat feeling. Most of the time I eventually manage to get to sleep but other times it doesn't matter which side I'm sleeping, left, right, on my back, on my front it just doesn't stop. I have to get up and go and prop myself up on the sofa.

Is this a common occurrence for you too?

Thanks. I just need a good night's sleep!!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Have you seen a doctor since your cold ended? It might just be congestion, or something totally unrelated to your original problem. I have no problem when I change head positions anywmore, but did, for months before my vertigo went away.

I don't think BPPV would be constant, just when you move your head. Also the imbalance does not affect me if I keep my head still.

• Posted

Hi dee

I never had the cold symptoms as in nasal problems but just a sore throat and a cough that made sure I couldn't sleep for days. As I have VN I read that any illness can bring symptoms back. But the boat feeling had left me for months and then I have this setback and every night I'm struggling to sleep as I'm dizzy. I Posted on here last week when it was about BPPV and I don't have nystagmus so I'm sure it's not that. I'm also wondering if I should just sleep propped up? And no I haven't been back to the doctors since all the messing around they did with referring me to ENT!!!

• Posted

Maybe its vestibular neurits or something similar then. Yes, I'd sleep propped up if that doesn't make you dizzy.

• Posted

Oh, I see you did have VN. Maybe a recurrance then? Isn't it awful after all those months of VRT, it comes back again?

• Posted

Yes and I'm so fed up of it. Sorry yes I was told I've got VN last sep and started doing VRT and by 3 months thought wow!! This is working. Then I caught a virus affecting my throat, couldn't sleep with coughing all night and before I knew it, all my original symptoms were back.

I'm struggling this time to progress much with the VRT and only doing a minimum exercise.

I hate this like we all do and wish it could just go away. Thank you for your reply dee x

• Posted

I wish  had a good answer for you about sleep - When my head has been dizzy I have just had to keep very still and not move. I have had my condition since august 2013, stroke in cochlea/vestibular nerve and had Vestibular rehabilitation training but found that just keeping as active as I could worked just the same.  I do have setbacks if I get a virus - so hope yours clears up soon.  I have only just found this site - It is helpful to hear how other people manage and cope.
    • Posted

Thanks June and I'm so sorry to hear you've had this for so long. But it's good you're doing ok when there are no setbacks.

When I'm laid down even if my head is still I feel the motion and feel as though I'm going to fall out of bed!!

And yes This site is fantastic. I only just found it 3 weeks ago and it helps me tremendously 😊

• Posted

Just a thought... could you have coughing so much that it shook some crystals loose in your inner ear canals?! I think this happened to me, this week. I have bronchitis and after about a month of being vertigo-free, it's baaaack in one ear. Not bad, but I get the eye movements when I bend down or put my head back to one side.

I just did the Eply, so hopefully that will take care of it. Totally different than VN (I never had that, apparently). This is a room-spinning sensation. And I continue to have the imbalance.

• Posted

That's exactly what I was wondering too but I don't have the nystagmus. I feel like my eyes are bouncing or doing something but when they are looked at, they aren't moving around. I'm now wondering if it's just that I have my eyes closed and in the dark as I am worse then. I'm going to really study it tonight!!! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.