Dizzyness Update

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello everyone, just thought I would update on my latest journey. After visiting my neurologist on Monday to discuss seizure episode, he said he was not convinced it was a seizure as it did not lose control of bowels or bit my tongue. So is weaning me off anti-seizure meds. He believes I am dealing with bilateral BPPV and multiple muscle spasms in my head and neck due to the migraines and because I have not treated it correctly in the beginning and let it go on for so long it has become chronic. It is just coincidental the two happened together. My luck. The drugs I am now on are an anti-inflammatory, Meloxicam, 15 mg, 1 tab for 10 days then prn, Nortriptyline (for headache), 10 mg

1 capsule at bedtime for 1 week

2 capsules at bedtime for 2 months

and Lorazepam (dizzyness), 1 mg, 1 tab under tongue at bedtime, prn.

But I must say, the dizzyness I am feeling today and yesterday and tightness in chest is very concerning. Almost feels like a different dizzyness than BPPV. I just hope they are not missing an underlying heart condition. Im almost afraid to approach another doctor as each one appears on their own ego trip and has their idea of what is going on. I have never heard of so many differing opinions. One good thing, and I'm almost afraid to say it too loud, is my nausea is not as bad and appetite is somewhat back and I can eat better. Any similar treatment plans out there?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

h!,if you are  feeling any kind of tightness in your chest area you really need to call this doctor and tell him Marie, like,today!! oR front up at  A& e as they would immediately do an ECG if you tell them okay.  tAkemthemdrgs you,ve Been given and tell them that the chest tightness ON!Y started when you began these drugs!!   also see my PM.
  • Posted

Hi Marie,  i know what you mean, i was told that i'd been wasting my time with ENT by the otoneurologist and if i'd come to see him sooner i could have treated this condition sooner rather than it being so long standing (Past 2 years) and now it is going to take longer to get sorted.  I also have BPPV and he said not to get the 2 condtions mixed up.  It's hard to know what's going on but i have felt better on the nortriptyline and have less vertigo since starting on them plus adjusting me diet and no longer having caffeine and cutting back on sugar and no longer have chocolate.
    • Posted

hello i have recently started on Nortitryptaline (2 days ago) for migraine related dizziness and i have to go back to the consultant in January so am hoping these will work for me, she said it will take a couple of weeks to take effect.  How have you got on with them?  thanks
    • Posted

I did well for the first month on nortriptyline 10mgs but may need to increase to 20mgs as the vision problem is returning and i can feel the the dull ache in my head when i wake in the morning.  I am reluctant to increase the dosage as ideally i would like to come off all meds but am seeing the consultant again next monday for balance tests and follow up so will discuss it with him and see if i can control these silent migraines with diet alone as i am more aware now that there is more than one approach and it isn't a case of one size fits all.
    • Posted

When you were tested for bppv did they do eye test and did it come back positive. I've been tested for it but cane back negative just wandering if it can be negative and I could still have it
    • Posted

yes, the bppv test i had done last year showed i had bppv but this year i was being tested for silent migraines, i have bppv and silent migraines and the consultant said not to get the 2 mixed up.
  • Posted

just to add, i also had a racing pulse one night after taking nortriptyline but i had also had a general anaesthetic that day too and was wondering if the combination caused the problem, i think nortriptyline can cause raised pulse. I didn't make the connection when it happened until after the event.   Maybe you are sensitive to it and need to get it checked if it is affecting your heart.  Best wishes.
  • Posted

Hi Marie - well what can I say.  Not a seizure, I sodding well hope he's right.  Im sure people have had seizures without losing control of their bowels and biting their tongue.  Have a look on this website to see what it says about it and other people's experiences.  Multiple muscle spasms in your head due to migraines ?  Im on the MAV Support on facebook and another migraine page and no one has reported that.  I dont think I would be happy and I would want a second opinion. I dont take any epilepsy meds or beta blockers cos none of them worked for me.  Are there any tests you can have to prove his theories ?  Having said that Ive been convinced Ive not got migraine but Im beginning to think maybe I have the more research I do.  Join the MAV Support closed group on facebook and put a post on to see if anyone else has had the same.  I hope you feel better soon and can more info on all this.  Much love Paula x
    • Posted

Thanks Paula for your thoughts. I mirror them as well. This guy is supposed to be chief of neurology in the hospital but he sure has left me  questioning a few things. Didn't do much of a physical exam, just based on what I said and it was like, it's this & take this for that. Attitude of seen it all, been there, done that...   I am not on facebook but I will start connecting with the chat group here.

Take care smile

• Posted

And to add more frustration, after a 2nd night of taking Nortriptyline I thought I was going to go pass out, called neurologist office in morning asking him to call me back. He didn't, not yet anyway. Nightime now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.