Do any of you suffer from sleep paralysis?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been having sleep paralysis for as long as i can remember. 

i remember having it when I was little, I am now 22 and wonder if sleep paralysis is actually normal? 

i've never told a doctor about this/ 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yep! I've been having it for the past few years and possibly when I was younger too. It's normal apparently but if you mention it to a doctor they just look at you like you're making things up!! Well at least that's what happened to me. It's scary but I'm getting used to it. I also feel like I'm levitating sometimes which is marvellous. All seems very real but it isn't. It's just your mind waking up before your body can.
    • Posted

ahh okay thank you. i have bad health anxiety so this is the first time i really look it up and i began to freak myself out thinking i have a disorder or something. But ive had it for a long time to the point where i know how to wake myself up now. 
  • Posted

Yes, I've had it most of my life too. Totally agree with Bird - most doctors know squat about it and may try and make out it's a psychiatric condition. Best keep it to yourself! The few scientists who've investigated it say everyone experiences it a few times in their life but some of us get it on a regular basis. Incidentally, have you ever asked your parents or siblings whether they get it? It's strongly hereditary. A note of caution there, though. When I told my mum about it when I was young, she went ballistic, accused me of all kinds of "dirty" things. It wasn't till I was in my early 40s that my father admitted he'd had it all his life too - but my mother had warned him never to tell me about it as she was convinced it was a sign of insanity! Families, eh...?

It's down to a minor (and harmless) brain glitch. When we're in the dreaming phase of sleep our brain secretes a hormone that paralyses our voluntary muscles - like arms and legs, as opposed to muscles used for breathing, swallowing etc. There's a reason for this - if we weren't paralysed we'd all run around acting out our dreams! Normally the brain stops secreting this hormone just before we wake up, but sometimes it gets out of synch and we wake us still paralysed for a few seconds.

The best thing is not to worry about it. I'm in my 70s now and it's never harmed me! If it's bothering you, you can try and identify what triggers the attacks. In me, it's getting too hot in my sleep. Another one of my triggers is sleeping too much, but it's the opposite for some people. Often things like drinking coffee or alcohol too late in the evening can trigger an attack, and stress is often the culprit. Try keeping a diary of when it happens and what you ate/drank/did before falling asleep, how hot you felt when you woke, how much light there was in the room etc.

And above all don't worry about it. Your instinct is correct - its completely harmless.

• Posted

Yes I've been experiencing it since I was 17, and however scary we find it it's apparently nothing serious. Im 21 and it still happens to me, but much less. Here's a thing that helped me with that if you sleep on your back this is really gonna help you: stop sleeping on your back. Sleep on your side it really works for some reason. Hope this helps, and don't worry about it smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.