Do I definitely have tonsillitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I woke up today with ear pain, a bit of a sore throat and feeling generally unwell.

I called my GP and they have prescribed me antibiotics over the phone without seeing me it was a receptionist that did it. I do have one enlarged tonsil with white puss filled holes with redness around them. How am I meant to know what I have if a doctor won't even see me? All opinions are valued.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

That's a dangerous thing to do. GP needs to get a swab test of your throat to confirm strep throat or some other bacterial infection before prescribing antibiotics

This is how antibiotic resistance spreads not to mention destruction of good bacteria in your gut causing other ailments. 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, I thought so myself. I think it's ridiculous that a reception send a request for antibiotics without a doctor seeing me.

• Posted

Do u have a past history of tonsillitis?

White stuff usually means tonsillitis. But in Australia we usually have 10 days before seeking help from doctor. Only then would u consider antibiotics. Some doctors are very anti antibiotics now.

But it can take a few scripts of penicillin to get rid of bacterial infection of tonsils.

So u make the decision to take them now or later yourself

3 days of getting worse is normal

3 days of being sick. Is normal

3 days of getting better is normal

Anything over that is not normal. But tonsillitis can be hard to shake off in some ppl. Even if it is viral and not bacterial

It is those of us who are sick for months dispite treatment

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.

I'm on my 3 day now and this is the worse it's been. Very sore throat, feels raw and a cough.

I live in n. Ireland and doctors barley have time to see anyone these days because of the stress of cuts from the NHS they have started to train the receptions to identify certain illnesses so they can give out medicine 👎

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.