Do I have a sleep disorder?

Posted , 7 users are following.

For the past 6-8 months I've been having trouble getting to sleep and once I do it's hard to stay asleep.

Weather I feel like I could fall asleep as soon as I get into bed or if I just relax in bed it takes me often at least 2 hours to fall asleep. And I get these twitches/aches in my hips and legs that jualt me and wake me up or stop me from sleeping.

On top of this I wake up literally every night between 2-4 and wake up at 6 and can't get back to sleep.

I've tried relaxing, watching tv or reading before bed. Exersize. Laying in the dark and silence. I've even tried sleep videos on YouTube.

Nothing seems to make a difference. I'm so tired all the time because I haven't had a decent night sleep in months and it's now become a cycle that's wearing me down physically and mentally.

Any advice would be very appreciated

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Just thought I'd add that I was on zopliclone sleeping tablets when I were younger but that was due to my depression and at this point it's more to do with the twitches.

• Posted

Have you been to the doctor yet? Just to rule out if there's anything causing it?

Is there anything in your life going on that is causing you stress, worry or anxiety?

• Posted

Not yet. All he will suggest is everything I've already tried. I tried a few months ago but he wouldn't listen.

I'm pretty much always under stress due to having anxiety controll my life but I'm sort of comfortably incomfoetable with it so it's nothing I am not used to/

• Posted

All I can say is I was the same. Then it hit me and I've not been sleeping right since. I practice mindfulness and do CBT and it helps.

• Posted

Forest

The leg prblem is a well known prblem that your GP may be able to treat, I thinks it is something called active legs,not positive about the 

When we go to bed most of our awaking and sleeping times become fixed to certain time periods, say your two hours to get to sleep is a habit controlled by your Body. When you wake up between two and four the same applies you will need to re-teach your body to sleep at better times, possibly your active leg problem is not helping you to sleep at a constant time and this also will effect your sleep paterns.

Talk to your GP about these problems and if not all ready there are ways to address your problems. In a way your sleep patern needs to be re-learned .

Sometimes a lot of sleep problems comes down to medications and when you take them during the day or late night.

About five years ago I had changed my named medications and I was having problems with sleeping, I usd to wake up at about 06;30 and I would just get up to have breakfast in bed. So much was the problem my Wife did the same.

Now we have become accustemed to the problem we put the radio on for seven in the morning and we listen to that to 08;30 then get beakfast. What we both have found however we go back to sleep with the radio on so we gain that time back. In the evening we always go at the same time, after we listen to morning papers, this helps us sleep. We now been Pensioners get up the same time every day and the body accepts that, if we do not listen to the radio am w find we do not sleep. It is how the body relates to time, and its internal time.

Try something similair and you may be a little bettr following strict times

• Posted

I think restless leg syndrome (RLS) is the problem you are trying to name. It's a dopamine(/iron) problem. Its usual form is an irresistible urge to move the legs, though some do describe aches with it. Twitching, I think, is something that comes as the problem gets more severe. 

• Posted

Robert

That is its name, I get it now and again with my nerve damage causd by PSA.

Thanks

BOB

• Posted

Trying?!! That word is energy. Ive struggled for 40 years on cocktails of bezos to try and sleep i tried every natural treatment available. 

I now dont care somehow i take zopiclone and mirtazapine and it always sends me off. If i wake up i take more im not fighting anymore and fear is ebbing slowly away after 40 years of hell.

• Posted

I have been experiencing the same thing now for 10 months, but without the twitches in my leg.

I have internal vibrations in my head though from the sleep deprivation. I wish I knew the answer. Have you tested your cortisol levels and other hormones?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.