do i have a uti

Posted , 3 users are following.

i am 6 weeks post turp today, the last week or so i have felt a slight burn when i pee and my frequency has gotten worse. a couple of weeks ago i was able to go 2 hours without having to go, i got sick and threw up a few times and since then i have had issues with frequency and the burning. when i just sit down i feel a slight burning sensation at the end of my penis. i just went down to my gp and gave a urine sample to check,. i am waiting for the results. i also have very smelly urine, do i have a uti?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It does sound like the general symptoms that go along with a UTI, when they did the urine sample did they do a dip stick (urinalysis)? This is the first initial test before sending it away to be cultured?  The urinalysis shows if there is any white blood cells, or blood in the urine as well as nitrates(bacteria).  If that tests postive and you have the symptoms you are usually given an antibiotic.  The fact that you have thown up with it is a bit concerning as this can be an indicator that it is in your kidneys....do you have any flank pain or lower back pain?  If symtoms get worse, I would head back to the doctors before waiting on culture, it can take a couple days for that to come back. Take care!
    • Posted

The throwing up appears to have been a little 24 hour bug. i was fine later on the same day i threw up. no pain in my side or back. They told me they would stick the sample today and the doctor would be in later at 3pm. i was advised to drink plenty of water to flush out my system. no i am urinating every 30 minutes.
    • Posted

It's a little different being 6 weeks post TURP. May still have blood in the urine and cell count can be up from all the things they put up there from the Turp. Plus the healing still being in progress, the losing and regrowing of scabs, possible scar tissue. A call to urologist may be in order to keep him in the loop as to what's going on. Sometimes he prefers a culture taken with a Cath rather than a cup.

• Posted

i am supposed to see him next month on the 14th. He is on vacation now so that is why i went to my gp for the urine sample. i was there at 9am and was told the doctor would probably want to send it out for a culture test. i am to call them on Friday morning. i just took an otc product named AZO to help with my urgerceny and frequency that is for a 2 day supply. By then i hope to have the results of the urine test. Thanks for responding back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.