Do I have Carpal Tunnel syndrome?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been playing Darts on a regular basis for around 12 years now and for the last 2 years I have had a problem with my right arm/hand/wrist. I have been to see my GP who refered me for an MRI scan of my cervical spine to see if I have a trapped nerve. The results came back clear, as did the results of an xray I had to see if it was a possible joint issue. My doctor has done a test for Carpal Tunnel where he tapped on certain parts of my wrist, again the test showed nothing wrong. My symptoms are pain in the wrist, forearm and elbow after 5-10 minutes darts practice. Dull ache in upper arm and shoulder. Unable to bend forward index finger to palm of hand as with my left index finger. Weak/loose grip from index finger to little finger. Lack of control when gripping dart means I often nearly drop them. Although the Carpal tunnel test was negative, everything I have researched online and the symptoms I have always lead me back to Carpal Tunnel syndrome. Has anyone else suffered with this or does anyone have any other suggestions as to what it could be? I would appreciate any advice please as my GP seems reluctant to help any further.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It doesn't immediately sound very like CTS from that description but one does meet atypical cases. If you complete the questionnaire at carpal tunnel net it will give you a fairly reliable estimate of the probability that you have CTS. The wrist tapping test (Tinel's sign) is wholly unreliable and no better than tossing a coin at making the diagnosis. Nerve conduction studies or ultrasound imaging are the best tests in cases of diagnostic doubt but they are not perfect either - ultimately there is no absolute way to be completely certain whether you do or do not have CTS I'm afraid. Dr J Bland

• Posted

Hi Drew;

Have they done an EMG test?  You might also ask about tendonitis or Ulna nerve damage?

• Posted

so, you rest up, go to the doc, and test clean....try throwing the darts until you have symptoms and then have the mri and tests.

• Posted

Dear Drew,

i saw saw a judge recently, he hadn't been able to write - or even hold a pen with his right hand for over 2 years. He had had scans, consultants and even physio to no avail.  I felt his firearm whilst in a handshake position - it was almost solid (no flexibility). I massage the forearm (above & below) firmly for 15 min.  Matching the bad arm to his good left arm.  Then past a pen to him - which he (to his suprise) could hold, and then began to write.  Intuitively you know the problem is caused by the dart playing - this doesn't mean stop.  It means release the tight muscles that have developed over time, and so now cause pain, contraction & weakness.  Match your arms - the bad to the good.  From your upper down, where it hurts gently but firmly massage. Ask someone to check your shoulders (massage).  Unfortunately & peculiarly sometimes the obvious is overlooked. Please let me know how things go.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.