Do I have Coeliac?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I have a diabetic sister who was also diagnosed with celiac a year ago. For the past week or so I've had an upset stomach without fever. Symptoms are:

- lack of appetite and weight loss

- stomach gas, burping & flatulence

- loose stools, sometimes diaherrea

- bloating after eating and stomach noises

Went to the doctor and he said it's most likely a stomach virus or bug but he's ordered a blood test for celiac screening because my sister has it.

I wanted to ask what the likelihood is of me having celiac? I know only the testing will confirm but do my symptoms hint of it and can symptoms come on all of a sudden? I'm 21 and usually healthy. Thanks all!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It's good to get tested, it's recommended for all first-degree relatives of someone with Coeliac, such as siblings and parents. 

Your symptoms are certainly ones shared with Coeliac patients, but also scores of other conditions and they may just be temporary, like a stomach bug. I'm sure if it isn't CD but persists, your dr will do more tests or see you again to find the right diagnosis.  I hope you're fine!  But if it is CD, better to find out now.

Good luck! Please keep us posted!

• Posted

Hey thank you for the kind words and advice, much appreciated! I suppose it makes sense for me to be tested, is the blood test accurate?
    • Posted

Welcome to food issues...nothing is 100%. BUT, it's generally on target. I had an endoscopy with biopsies after mine came back negative and it really was accurate (I had symptoms including some malabsorption). A few have CD but negative blood tests. I should add that my son has CD. The rest of us (including my older son and my husband) do not.
    • Posted

Just waiting for my blood test is causing me so much worry haha! Are you able to tell me your symptoms please? Feel free to personal message me if you wish!
    • Posted

Only analysis of biopsies taken during a gastroscopy test is likely to be definitive but a blood test is a good starting point.  As Aveline has pointed out, there are many possible causes of your problems - the digestive system can be rather bad tempered on occasions! - but it is better to be tested than guess.
    • Posted

Thank you for the information Anthony. Its certainly come as a bit of a surprise to me. The doctor was ready to discharge me after saying its only a virus or bug etc. but as soon as I mentioned my sister is a coeliac, his tone changed!
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with IBS when I was in my 20s and my intestines often run hot and cold...but it's often under control. It was flaring up about a year ago plus I had bloodwork done that revealed low B12/Pernicious Anaemia, borderline low D and iron, so between the gut symptoms (not unlike yours) and the slight malabsorption my GP and my GI doc wanted the endoscopy/biopsies in spite of my negative blood test. I guess it really is just IBS in my case. 
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that, IBS sounds like a real pain! Don't mean to gross you out, did you ever experience the symptom of passing small loose stools (not complete D) frequently?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.