Do I have HSV1 on my Genitals?

Posted , 8 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hey there, 

I got diagnosed w/ HSV1 about a week ago. I slept with a girl about a month back who i didn't know very well, and I'm sure she passed the virus to me. 

In any case, I masturbated about two weeks ago and noticed a signifcant bump on my penile shaft the morning after. It was hard, red, and noticebale. However, it DID NOT blister, and actuallly got significantly smaller each day before dissapearing completely within 72 hours.  

I masturbated again two days ago, and again the bump appeared. Obviously, I'm nervous this is HSV1. I've scheduled an appointment with a dermatologist, but that's two weeks down the road. As such, I'm in desperated need of peace of mind. Below are photos of the bump. The first is from the first day, the second is from the day after.

I know diagnosing something online is difficult. But can this be a herpe sore if it goes away so fast AND doesn't blister?  It should also be known that the sore doesnt really hurt. It feels like a tiny pinch, but I can rub my finger on it without experiencing pain. 

Any help would be appreicated. Feel free to ask questions if you need clarification. Thank you so much!

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You can get a blood test and know within 3 days. Or see your PCP sooner.
  • Posted

Be careful of going to a dermatologist.  I went and saw 2 and both took a quick glimpse and said not herpes.  I asked for a swab and both said not necessary.  Also, dermatologists are expensive.  Just go to an STD clinic or your primary/GP.  Note too, that it can take a while for your body to build up anti-bodies so the blood test, if taken too early, can show a false negative.  I believe you should wait 4-6 weeks to get the IGG test.  The IGM test is supposedly worthless.
    • Posted

I don't think it hurts to see a dermatologist. If he has insurance it would be the same co-pay. As a woman whose gone to two gynocologists and one online doctor who has seen pictures of my issues all three gave me a visual no. I've done an IGM which came out negative (but yea I know they aren't reliable, not that they are worthless) but after seeing three doctors that SHOULD know and have many years experience I decided a dermatologist wouldn't be a bad idea. Besides many treat different types of warts, molusscum contagion, ect I think a dermatologist would know (if anything it's another educated opinion) as far as him going to an STD clinic sure. But if he's like me I called an STD clinic the other day and they don't accept my insurance and I have BCBS. So why pay an std clinic $140 out of pocket when I can get the same testing done with an in network doctor and only pay $35. Didn't make sense to me which is why I am not going to be going that route.

On a plus side when I did herpes testing in Feb of this year the IGM and IGG came out negative so I at least know from past experience they match up at least it did for me. I'm going to get the IGG test soon. Probably after my birthday because then 6 weeks would have passed from the date in question.

• Posted

I just recommend calling the dermatoligist office prior to the visit to discuss costs and what is covered by insurance.  I have BCBS also and I have been surprised by what a derm charges and is not covered by insurance.  I agree though, another pair of eyes can't hurt.  Planned Parenthood in the states takes most insurances.  Glad to hear you came out negative.  Always a good thing.  I was positive HSV1 and low positive HSV2 with no lesions.  I then went through Westover Height Clinic and took the Western Blot.  It only showed positive for HSV1, negative for HSV2.  You have to be careful with those Elisa tests.
    • Posted

The western blot I heard was reliable isn't it? Is that the one you are going off of. And you're HSV1 for genitals?

I'm not in the clear yet I can't rely on the IGM although I'm glad it came out negative. I'm waiting to do the IGG test. I see a dermatologist next week will see if he will do it. Which test did you take that was low positive on HSV2? Sounds like you just have the 1. How have your symptoms been so far?

• Posted

If you have HSV-1, it can influence the IgG test for HSV-2, resulting in a low positive. There is a 50/50 chance the low positive may be false. In many such cases, Western Blot is able to provide a definitive answer. If no prior HSV-1, then the IgG test is fine. A high positive is also conclusive.
    • Posted

Yes, exactly, and that is what happened in my case.  I have had HSV1 oral for 10-12 year with very few outbreaks.  I took the IGG HSV1 and HSV2 because I had dated someone that told me she was HSV2 Genital positive.  My HSV1 was 15.4 and my HSV2 was 1.1.  The Western Blot is supposedly the gold standard and only done through the University of Washington.  It cost me $250 and the wait was over 2 weeks to get the results.  I guess it looks for 14 or something different anti-bodies.  You can read it about it on the UW Virology website. 

My symptoms are weird, funny rash on my face and few red dots on my butt. I also have strange nerve issues that may be attributed to something else.  I am seeing a naturopath and a neurologist to try and figure it out. I have been told by two different dermatologists that they are not herpes.  If you are in the United States you don't have to wait for a doctor to order the IGG HSV1 and HSV2.  You can go online and get the tests yourself.  You just need to be over 18.  They will email you your results in 2-3 days.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Are you shaving? I think there are many reasons a guy could get bumps and it's not std related. Looks like an ingrow hair to me but suspect if it keeps happening after masturbating. On that note though it doesn't look like herpes to me. I think guys get things that cause a bump and I can't remember what it is, I read an article the other day though. I wouldn't stress especially if it's painless and you aren't having any weird smells or secretions coming from you. Don't stress. Stay off web md and this forum. (That's what all my friends tell me while I'm waiting for a concrete diagnosis and my symptoms are not typical of herpes, yet I keep coming back. Lol)

You look okay to me. Keep us posted. Lol

• Posted

Hard to say, as female lesions tend to look different to male ones. Looks like a regular pimple to me, but you never know. Are there any other spots, is this the first time you've had such a spot, do you otherwise feel fine? Also, if you fear an STD, I'd go to an STD clinic, not a dermatologist.
  • Posted

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input!

I had sex about a month ago. I got a blood test last week--which came back positive for HSV1. Further, I got ulcers in my mouth for the first time a week ago.

The bump on my penis occurred for the first time about two weeks after having sex. However, I was shaved, and I used a new water-based lubricant to masturbate with as well--so it may be an allergic reaction to that as well.

However, a lot of signs point to it being herpes--for one, I tested positive for HsV1; second, the bump occurred not long after having sex; third, I did experience flu-like symptoms...lots of aches.

On the flip side, the sore doesn't look like any of the sores I've come across online. It has NOT broken and blistered. It is just a SINGLE bump. It's UNDER the skin. And it's occurred without any tingling, itching or odor. Last, it shrinks and disappears pretty quickly.

Sorry. A lot of that was repetitive. Just want to be thorough. Thanks again everyone!

• Posted

Did you get a swollen/tender lymph node in your groin? That would be very telling. Flu-like symptoms could be due to a new oral infection as well, I'm guessing. As for genital herpes, it can be just a single lesion, it doesn't have to blister/ulcerate, and there is usually no tingling (especially for first outbreaks) or odour. However, the lesions do occur on the surface, not under the skin.
    • Posted

P.S. Only around half of those with GH get the tingling, which occurs with recurrent outbreaks. First outbreak usually just hits you without warning.
    • Posted

I don't recall having a swollen lymph node in my groim. Aside from aches in my neck, I had no other flu-like symptoms.

My first outbreak, from what I've read, is also meant to be my worst--yet it was only a single bump, identical to the recurring "outbreak."

I understand this is a guideline and not the rule.

• Posted

Also, there are no other sores! Just the one
    • Posted

Do HSV1 sores looks different than HSV2 sores on the genitals?
    • Posted

Yeah, there are no real "rules" with GH (or too many exceptions), which is part of the problem! Type 1 and Type 2 genital lesions cannot be distinguished by presentation or progression. They look and behave the same. One bump under the skin is certainly less to worry about. Perhaps you only caught it orally.
    • Posted

Ugh, frustrating!

Alright, I suppose a doctor's evaluation is the only thing that can be done.

Last question: if I do have it on my genitals, can I have unprotected Dez with someone who has HSV1 orally? Are they protected because they already have antibodies, or can I spread it to their genitals as well?

Thanks!!

• Posted

I like unprotected Dez better, lmao.

If someone has an established Type 1 oral infection, they are unlikely to subsequently acquire it genitally as well, but there is no guarantee and exceptions seem to exist.

Type 1 orally/genitally does not protect against Type 2. *Slightly*, but you can still definitely get it and it is much more likely to be mild or asymptomatic in such cases. I know you didn't ask that, but just fyi.

• Posted

Alright, thanks again for everything...fingers crossed from this point moving forward.
    • Posted

Are you still going to see the derm? Keep us posted. I am curious to know how it goes. smile
    • Posted

Fyi, if you want to specifically test the bump for herpes, then that will be too late. Need to do it while the bump is fairly new. Besides, it may resolve within two weeks, even if not herpes! But if it's still there after 2+ weeks, then you can relax about GH, as a herpes lesion wouldn't last that long.
    • Posted

Also good to know, thank you.

Don't know how I'm gonna get a straight answer for this! -_-

May wait for if and when the bump gets reaggrevated, then get it tested.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.