Do I have Meniere's or labyrinthitis or just BBPV?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Im very worried about my hearing, but I would rather hear now and be prepared than leave it un-treated if it is a problem..

I have had an issue with my left ear where i have burst the eardrum and desipte it healing, I now have hearing loss. this is issue number 1.

Issue 2 is now a problem which has come out of nowhere and Im very concerned about.

About a week ago I started getting nausies from getting up or lying down.

I went to the ENT who diagnosed me with BPPV on the 'right' side which is the other, non affected ear from the damage.

I went home and found the Epley manouvere and have managed to sort out the feeling of sick from getting up and back down - great.

BUT - now i have a feeling of sick when I make suden head movement, i also feel quite tired/lethargic/generally unwell (comes and goes) and feel a bit of pressure in that right ear now. I swear my hearing is a bit more muffled and its devasting to have this in both ears now. I dont have any 'attacks' where I cant function.

I am going to book an appointment to go back and see the ENT this week. He did say in his report that he spotted 'early inner ear' problem in the right ear which means he saw this/something coming.

Does anyone have any similar experiance? Am i now going to lose the hearing in my right ear?..

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Neil! I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your ears, like all of us. The diagnosis of Ménière's comes after a process of elimination as there is no test. To this day I am not certain I have it either as I am experiencing a lot of the symptoms but the vertigo has only made a few appearances . I was diagnosed with a cookie bite hearing loss which is not typical to a Ménière's hearing loss at all so the doctors decided not to investigate further for now. My records say "probable Ménière's disease" which I find rather frustrating.

It is my understanding that inner ears problems come in all shapes or forms, not two patients are the same and there is still a lot doctors don't understand.

It might be worth asking for a second opinion or further tests because it is awful not knowing what is wrong.

I definitely have that sickness feeling when I move my head too fast and that floating feeling, like I'm drunk or not quite there.

I'm sorry I can't answer any of your questions, only an ENT consultant can after more investigations.

Keep the faith.

• Posted

What tests did this ENT do to diagnose you ?did he do the epley on you?
    • Posted

HI Jane

He offered, but at the time I said I didnt feel the need (he was going to charge £200 extra on top of everything) and then i did the epley at home.

He did very extensive hearing tests in both ears.. his report is very long.

He did look into both ears with a microscope too

• Posted

Did he send you to an Audiologist? And what did he see??kinda sounds like you need another ENT who is more comprehensive to find out really what's your problem !!

• Posted

He was extremely comprehensive. 3rd person to test my ears and he did alot of tests.. his audioligist was next doo who did the test.s..

• Posted

Left ear..

* Improves with valsalvas manoueouve

* partial opacification of mastoid of mastoid ear cells

* slight scarring inferirorely in centre of tympanic membrane but appears intact

* stapedial reflexes could not be elicite din left ear  due to higher compliance 

* transient otoacoustic emisions absent at all frequenices 

* associated left sensory hearing loss

Right ear

* 2KHz to 25db hearing loss

* normal middle ear pressures

* stapedial reflexes present at 80-85db

* poor euastachian tube function (might have always been there) 

* transient otoacoustic emisions normal and present

* suggestion of cochlear recruitment 

* could be early inner problem - suggest eplye manouvre

* CT report normal ossicles. need to see ct report to find out if there is disconuity in bone

furher investigation by computerised inner ear tests namely an ABR and electrocochleography would help to establish whether there is a treatable underlying problem. He may have developed inner ear endolymphatic hydrops either as a secondary result of infector related to trauma

• Posted

Wow this is detailed and sorry I can't understand it I'm not an audiologist !i know I have low frequency hearing loss and had the ABR test which in combination with my vertigo attacks led to my diagnosis.i didn't have an MRI at first but I should've to rule out an

Acoustic neuroma but did after a new ENT ordered one along with a CT of my temporal bones .everything for me structurally was ok .so I'm assuming they do not think I have menieres from their tests..this seems a question for your ENT at next visit

• Posted

If I understand correctly, you tried to treat the BPPV yourself.  This is not recommended for two reasons:

1) Not all BPPVs are the same (posterior vs lateral), and so the repositioning maneuver may not fix all the situations.

2) With the correct maneuver, the otolith crystals may sometimes enter a different semicircular canal, producing different symptoms.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

oh god sad

well, it may be that 2) has happened as I feel a bit sick constantly..

What do you recommned now?.. Have I screwed myself up permanantly?

• Posted

No it is not permanent.  You need to go back to ENT.  The specific canal involved this time will be determined, and a specific repositioning will be performed.

• Posted

thank you. You are advice means alot.

Based on my information above/diagnosis, what would you suggest?

Should I got for these test he suggests.. does it sound like Meneiriers?

I feel very weak today and having difficulty to function

• Posted

Lets clarify the BPPV issue first, before doing the other tests.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.