do i have RA?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 23 and last summer I had gotten surgery for carpal tunnel and trigger thumb in both of my hands.  After less than a year, all of my syptoms of carpal tunnel are back, plus the orthopedist thinks that i have cubital tunnell (elbows) as well.  I have off and on pains all throughout my body (hands, elbows, shoulders, hips, knees and feet).  I have trouble sleeping at night due to pain in my both my shoulders that seems to be getting worse but I have had injuries (Torn Rotator cuff right shoulder and torn labrum left shoulder) in each of them but they were rehabbed and werent bothering me so much until about a year ago. When I wakeup in the morning my hands and feet are slightly swollen as well.  I do have a physical job so I feel like the pain could just be caused by that but I also feel that I am only 23 and too young for that to happen.  Bloodwork was taken at my primary doctors and they said everything came back fine.  When i looked online at my bloodwork to see what exactly was tested, it showed that the test for CCP Antibody was high (31, range is from 0-19).  Went back and spoke to the doctors about it and they said they didnt think there was anything to worry about but I was referred to a rheumatologist just in case.  Am I going crazy and these aches and pains are all in my head or is there something wrong that my doctors are just ignoring.  My appointment isnt for over a month with the rheumatologist but I am driving myself crazy worrying about this.  

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. Sorry to hear of your pain. I don't understand the CCP results you mention but sure someone here will help. I am no expert but it sounds more like fibromyalgia. It took a while for my RA to be diagnosed so just keep pushing. I know its tough when your in pain and your doc doesn't sound helpful. Can you see another doc for some meds for pain to see you thru til the rheumy appointment? I know I am not much help but I just think you need to keep pressuring your doc. Try and get something for your pain. Its not in your head by the way! You will get lots of help on here I am sure. Take care!

• Posted

Thanks a lot! When I went back to ask about my results they actually did give me some samples to help with the pain and they work ok. With the cap test, they said everything was ok but I loooked and it was positive. Every where I look online it says that if you are positive for that and you have symptoms there is a good chance that you have RA or it will develop as you get older. I guess they just figure everything is good because my rheumatoid factor and inflammatory levels are low
  • Posted

Hiya.

Some will say arthritis at your age is most unlikely... But I myself got my first symptoms at 19 and by 23 was in so much pain... Took 3 years of arguing with my gp for him to even test me... Had every test known except one for arthritis, and all because he thought I was too young... So I'm afraid much to a lot of believes that your either born with it or its a old age disease. It's wrong..... I hope things get sorted for you soon, even a simple set of xrays will show if you have it too

• Posted

Thank you for your response Debbie. Fortunately my doctor has done the blood testing for everything it seems and everything on there looks good except it looks like he just disregarded the CCp test (positive) which I know is somewhat new but everything I read online says that it is a good indicator of whether or not it will develop. I already have the pain and I just want it to be taken care of before I wait even longer and cause even more serious problems besides my aches and pains.
  • Posted

First of all, I am sorry you are having such a bad time. 

I had carpal tunnel in my right elbow. I had pain when rotating my arm and hand as in using a screwdiver and writing with a ballpoint pen. There was a localized pain inside my elbow and just below the elbow. A surgeon did an "interostial nerve release" which means freeing up a nerve pinched between two bones. One in 500 carpal tunnel patients have it in the elbow. The surgery was a success, it is like having a new arm with no pain.

You described pain in your hands and feet. That is the "epicenter" of my pain also and I have palindromic rheumatoid arthritis. This may be what is happening to you.

When you go to the rheumatologist, have a list of concerns and questions on paper that he/she can see you holding (this is a visible cue to them that you want answers). I know if I dont do that I always drive away and then realize I did not ask about something I really wanted to know about and that might inform the doctor's treatment.

Be your own advocate. Remember, you are hiring the doctor, not the other way around.

Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Thank you, unfortunately I still have to get the unpleasant emg testing done on my hands and elbows again before surgery is an option and I can't take the time off of work right now either to have any surgeries done so I'm holding off on that for as long as I can. I know exactly what you are saying as far as writing down what I need to ask when going to the doctors because I definitely forgot to ask some of the questions I have and I will for sure begin my list of questions ASAP . Thanks again for the help!

• Posted

Hi there, ive just had exactly the same happen to me. All blood fine, negative for rheamatoid factor and all FRB count fine but my CCP was at 23, even lowere than yours! My Mum has RA so i dont know if i am going to get it when older or if i am on the verge of it now. I have seen a rheamatologist 3 times and i think at present because our test are so low they only give NSIDS as a treatment oions. How do you feel in your self?I am 33 by the way so still young like you.
    • Posted

My primary doctor just prescribed me nsaids that are stronger than the normal over the counter ones and they seem to be working somewhat. Mornings and nights seem to be the worst times as far as pain with some nights barely being able to sleep. I just feel like it has to be in my head since I'm only 23 and I'm just overthinking it making it seem worse.

• Posted

is the pain just in the joints......are they swollen
  • Posted

Sorry you are having to deal with these issues at such a  young age.    It is going to take more tests unfortunately to try and pinpoint the cause of your pains.  I did google Mayo clinic info on the CCP test and your results placed you at a weak positive test result and that this test should not be used as the only test to determine rheumatoid arth. diagnosis 

So more testing --it is awful  waiting but it often can't be helped.  My results came  only with xrays and MRI.  Good that you are going to be seeing a rheumatologist

Take notes/  bring questions.   could be fibromyalgia or something else     Try and stay positive but it is easier said than done.  

• Posted

Thank you Gloria. When getting X-rays/MRI would that only show damage done from RA? I feel like if I do have RA or something related it must be in the beginning stages of it since I am only 23 and I may not have any physical damage done yet that can be shown in X-rays. I just want to prevent whatever it is from escalating
    • Posted

It is important to begin treatment early if it is RA.   YOu are not too young to have the disease but it could be something else too.    Bony erosions did show up on my xrays of hands but the doc wanted it confirmed with MRI.   He said it is indicative of RA diagnosis.( along with my symptoms)   I just did a little more research on  erosions and it is seen more commonly in older adults according to the one site I looked at.  MRI are costly so I don't know if it is easy for you to have one or not depending on insurance.   

I wish you the best--- read up on the disease and keep on this site for very helpful info       Many yrs ago I had a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome which is similar to fibromyalgia--tremendous fatigue and lots of pain but never any swelling.  It is hard for docs to confirm that diagnosis, few if any tests

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.