Do i have Rheumatic fever or not. Conflicting Doctor diagnosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I went to the doctor because i had sore knees and elbows after my hernia surgery ( i was innactive for 6 weeks ) & they made me get an ecg (completely normal) and have my blood test for Group A strep which came back positive and the doctor said i had rheumatic fever and put me on anti-biotics. I then went to get a second opinion and the doctor said he doesnt think i have rheumatic fever after a short evaluation and sent me to a cardioloogist. The cardiologist said he doesnt think i have Rheumatic fever either and did a ecg which came back normal. I then went to get a 3rd opinion and the doctor said i do not have it either all though she didnt do any checks just heard my symptoms and listened to my heart. What should i do? The doctor said i had athralgia and the blood test came back with strep, who should i listen too?? pleas help

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Testing for rheumatic fever is not an exact science as is true with a lot of illnesses. Doctors often do not agree. Are you in pain and are you being treated for it? That is the important thing. The main worry with rheumatic fever is it affecting your heart, but it sounds like you are OK. 
    • Posted

I have finished my anti-biotics and still have a bit of pain occassionally, but my anxiety over catastraphises everything so im not sure whats worth noting. Any more insight or thought on this?
  • Posted

If you came back positive for strep have the test done again as it can be a false positive.  My brother was diagnoised with Rheumatic fever when he was 9 years old he woke up one morning screaming in pain his feet were burning and his legs were in horrible pain.  You are post surgery and have been inactive, the strep could also be a result of surgery also the pain.  I would finish the antibiotics and then get tested again.  I am not an expert but have some medical training.  I wish you luck and please get retested about a week after you complete your antibiotics.
    • Posted

Hi Lori13. I have finished my Anti-biotics a week ago. Im going to get an Echocardiogram and final consultation with cardiologist on wednesday. Getting another blood test tomorrow. I have had no other symptoms of ARF. I just had sore joints (no swelling or heat) & the group A infection. If the cardiologist is ok, what do you think? is sore joints and group a strep enough to diagnose me with ARF? Looking at the jones criteria it says i dont but im not sure what to do
    • Posted

It sounds as if you are in good hands, blood test, ECG, cardiologist appointment. My mother had rheumatic fever and recovered well, I do remember that the doctors did keep checking her heart though. If you don't have rheumatic fever you are being looked after well it seems. Sore joints and strep could be a myriad of things. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.