Do I have this?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I think that I have this condition, its been on my mind for months. I'm being treated for depression and anxiety disorder right now but I've done some research and I have nearly all the symptoms of someone with an overactive thyroid, I have had blood tests, ECG's, seen a Cardiolgist and everything came back fine, my mother thinks I should ask the doctors for more tests as thyroid levels change, my grandmother also has it.

My symptoms are;

Burning up (really sensitive to heat)

Nervousness but feeling hyper at the same time.

Palpitations (fluttering, skipped beats)

Going to the toilet more than usual.

Really bad fatigue.

Tiredness.

Feeling weak.

Irritable.

The top of my neck underneath my chin feels swollen sometimes.

Panic/anxiety attacks.

Really appreciate anyone's advice.

😊

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would ask the doctor to check your tsh, t4, and t3 levels. If they only checked your TSH sometimes that's not enough information to really determine if you have a hyperthyroid or not.
  • Posted

Hi. If u look up the symptoms of magnesium deficiency I think you might find that ticks most - maybe all of your boxes.best wishes.
  • Posted

Thanks both for replying. I'm definitely going to ask for the thyroid tests to be done again as there could be a definite chance, I might have that. X
    • Posted

I don't think I have magnesium deficiency asI ddon't really match everything it says to be honest. But I will bring it up with the doc.😊
  • Posted

Hi Arya I would go back and ask the doctors again for a blood test. Two doctors told me I had a virus eventually with me saying I was getting worst they did the tests and described my level as going through the roof. Your symptoms are so similar to mine have you lost any weight?
    • Posted

Hiya 😊 Yes I have lost a bit of weight on/off through out the year, I'm naturally silm anyway but it worries me, cos I find it hard to put any back on. Occasionally I notice that my glands in my neck swell up you can't notice it from the outside but I can feel it, the doctors gave me anti biotics they said I was run down, that was September last year and now and then I still feel them swell, I know there's a change there if you know what I mean. X
  • Posted

Dear arya287, I am a patient with hyperthyroidism and also a clinical health care professional. The symptoms you describe are both of anxiety and hyperthyroidism as many people with hyperthyroidism get palpitations and shortness of breath which mimics an anxiety attack. I suspect you are getting anxious about your symptoms and have heard/read about hyperthyroidism and made the connection with your symptoms. The only way to rule out a thyroid problem is to get a blood test from your General Practitioner and they will be able to advise you further. Try not to worry about hyperthyroidism as as you already suffer from anxiety I suspect that your syptoms are very similar and are actually those of anxiety and a panic attack rather than a thyroid problem. Either way it is not the end of the world as living with a thyroid problem is not a disability, you just have to be sensible and take care of yourself by eating a sensible diet and execrising regularly. Just like anyone else.

Take care and get those blood tests done to rule out any thyroid problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.