Do I up my dose or use propranolol to get through a dip?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm looking for thoughts and advice from others in this informative community!

I am coming up to my 7th week on 50mg after 1 week at 25mg. I felt back like me for weeks 4&5 but then the anxiety has been coming back again along with sadness and depersonalisation being the main thing feeding more anxiety.

I have been away on holiday though so my sleeping pattern was different and I was taking the medication a little later than normal. I also had the stress of my ex husband saying he wasn't going to pay maintenance - now I have my own house for me and the children and I'm due to start some supply teaching on Thurs after a 10 year break.

So I can see that I have real things to be anxious about! My dilemma is whether I should up the sertraline dose or ride this out and take the propranolol to get me through this rough patch. I'm also nervous to up the sertraline as I don't want the side effects to coincide with the Thurs and Fri teaching.

Any thoughts, advice or experiences gratefully received!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

I have just posted a similar situation. I started feeling better and I am on my 7th week. My anxiety has come back 10x worse and I go on holiday in 2 weeks.

I don't know whether to up my dose from 50mg to 75/100mg or if there is an alternative anti anxiety drug to help me while away.

• Posted

Hi there,

When you say you felt better, when did it happen? Were you feeling like your old self and how long did it last?

I'm hoping that between our posts we may get some reassurance from those who've been in the same boat!

• Posted

Hi, I have been taking propranolol 60mg a day for anxiety for a couple of months after being upped from 40mg I also take sertraline 50mg and I find the combination brilliant. I have been on props and sertraline since Feb 15 and I feel brilliant now, still have my bad days but who doesn't but your best bet is to discuss with your doctor your best options and go forward from there, it's trial and error I'm afraid but you will get to a winning combination eventually.

• Posted

Also stressful situations don't help your anxiety and a different sleeping pattern and timing of your medication probably won't help, ride the storm, it will get better!

• Posted

Hi Charmaine

Thanks for the kind advice and it's good to hear that you're doing so well smile

I tested out half a propranolol a couple of times and I'll maybe try a full one today. Think I might need one for the first day teaching but don't want to be doped!

I know I would normally be anxious about starting a new job so I should expect the anxiety to go up. I suppose it's exaggerated because my system is weakened. The problem is it leads to the depression creeping back in too but hopefully if I use the propranolol to control the real anxiety the sertraline will keep the depression at bay and the depersonalisation will stop.

Here's hoping!

• Posted

I found that the propranolol worked really well and I didn't have and doped feeling when the dosage was upped, it just relieved the anxiety and yes the sertraline kept the depression at bay so it is a winning combination. I know quite a few people who are on both and it really works together very well. Hope it settle soon and good luck at new job.

• Posted

Hi Charmaine,

Sorry I have lots of questions and you seem a good person to ask!

Do you take your propranolol as and when or at set times?

Also my sleep was not good last night which aggravates stuff - does the propranolol help with your sleep?

Finally did you ever need to up your sertraline dose?

Thanks!

Clare smile

• Posted

Oh one more question! When was it you felt like you again and levelled out?

smile

• Posted

Propranolol not so regimental with timings but made sure I had the 60mg but as I said i started off at 40mg. I found if I missed propranolol the anxiety would come back and the heart palpitations etc. I found taking sertraline during the day did make me a bit fussy headed so I opted to take it at night so I slept through most of the grogginess. It took about 9 weeks altogether to even out and feel a real change.
    • Posted

Yes propranolol did help with my sleep and taking the sertraline at night I found helped also, I have never upped my dosage of sertraline I have always stayed on 50mg 😄

• Posted

What dose of propranolol have you got? I Had a 40mg original and I always took that in the morning but now I have 60mg which is 6x 10mg a day so I spread them out during the day and take 20mg x3 a day
    • Posted

Hi Charmaine

I'm just at the 7 week mark today.

I have 40mg tablets and I took one this morning so maybe I'll try one tonight.

Another awkward question! Do you notice any difference in your anxiety/mood during or before that time of the month?

Sorry I'm always looking for explanations!

Clare

• Posted

Hi Clare, yes I felt completely different when I started to take the sertraline at night so give it a go. YEs during that time of the month I got really low an drew tearful but I guess that happens then anyway and my anxiety heightened so I just took another propranolol to stop the anxious feelings. 😄

• Posted

Hi Charmaine

Thanks everything you're saying really makes sense and matches my feelings!

I take my sertraline in the morning 50mg I was gonna try a propranolol 40 mg at night. Not sure if I should switch the sertraline to night time as I had insomnia with it at the beginning....

Rah so many variables!!

• Posted

Hi Clare

Yes it's rather a case of trying to Find what's right for you really. Hope you find a great combination that suits you. Let me know how you get on. 👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.