Do orlistat really work ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

anyone give me advice please?

I have been given orlistat by my GP to try to help me lose some weight,

I started them in November for 3 weeks ( as and when needed ) as the leaflet said not to take them if you are not eating anything with so much fat in it.

After 3 weeks I weighed and had no weight loss at all .I then became negative and gave up .

Now that it is the New year, I once again thought, I desperately need to lose this weight as I want to feel healthy again !

I am now back on orlistat for the 2nd time and feeling quite positive, I am taking the tablets 3 times a day with food , fatty or not !

I have been back on them a week and a half, I still haven't lost any weight .

I forgot to mention that I am on a healthy eating plan of my own, for eg

2 x weetabix with skimmed milk and fruit in the morning.

A big ham or egg salad for lunch.

slimming world home made spargetti bolanaise for tea .

Lots of fruit in between and low calorie squash.

I Do go to toilet everyday, sometimes 2 or 3 times so I know I'm healthy that way, but why can't I lose the weight !

Also I do take medication for Aniexty .

Any advice would be most appriciated.

Many thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Other medication does interfere...

A lot of anxiety meds change your blood pressure & metabolism. I would try to lessen other meds to see if Olistat will work. It is a slow process however... I've lost 5 Lbs in 5 wks.

• Posted

I like you started on Orlistat mid November and looking at your intake I can't understand why your not loosing loads!!!...  I was doing really well with weight loss and eating a low fat diet but for some reason have come to a weight loss standstill! The tablets don't  seem to be having the same effect any more, I no longer need to be close to a loo ( you know what I mean) and I actually felt a bit constipated for the first time ever!  I've started again today and am going to be really strict! I have an active job but think I need to do some walking or exercise at home maybe! Good luck and let's hope we can shift some more this week! 😀
    • Posted

Hi trixxie 55

Thank you for your reply , I'm wondering if it's because I'm eating everthing low fat , I did read somewhere about a lady who are everything fatty and she has lost loads, if I. Can find it il post it on here, I feel like giving up , it's gutting when you don't lose anything , I've just joined a running group., I haven't gone yet mind lol ,.so sorry to hear that your weight has slowed right down, all the best with your weight loss in the future ,.chat again soon x

• Posted

Don't give up!!! I know it's disheartening but I joined a Zumba class for the first time ever and went last night and it was brill but my god I struggled, it made me more determined to loose!!! I've taken 3 tabs today with each meal so feeling a bit more positive! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.