Do the shingles ever really leave?

Posted , 3 users are following.

After bearing the antiviral for a week, I am having a reaction to it.  Thanks to some kind people in another discussion, I have been able to make it this far and realized just how mild my case has been.  Now I am left with fatigue and a few black marks and a couple of white bisters.  Is this the end stage or just the beginning?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was very ill from Acyclovir, couldn't keep it down. Valtrex worked better for me but it seemed to make the headache worse and I had some mild visual issues with it.

From what I've read the shingles/shicken pox virus stays in your body forever. It can be dormant for a very long time or come out in the form of shingles. Some people say stress triggers the attack, but I was not stressed at all when I first got sick 6 wks ago.

I am finally, today feeling well enough to accomplish some things and will try to get into my office this week. What a long road. 

• Posted

Kerri:

I was super stressed and out working on the car when it hit me.  I took the valacyclovir for a week and had a shortness of breath with a rapid pulse.  The droning headache even made me reschedule a job interview.  But my experience has been mild when I compare it to yours or to others on this forum.  It is nice to hear that there is finally "light at the end of your tunnel." 

• Posted

It sounds like you are on the mend. If it seems to be coming back, go see the Dr.

I for one, hope I never get this again. I've never been so ill in my life.

• Posted

Kerri:

There seems to be an endless supply of information (and misinformation) on the web.  I went out and purchased a few supplements to see if there is any merit to their claims.  Of course, the vitamin store did not have some of the things that were advertised.  I also counted my caloric intake and found out that my daily intake was approximately 800 calories short!  How can you fight when you have no fuel?  Going to fix that, too.  There is apparently a list of foods (that I love) to avoid tha fuel the proliferation of said virus.  I'll report back when I have more assurance than just a placebo effect. 

Camdenbuck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.