Do you think I have HIV? What are the chances I have one?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Good day. I am a 29 yr old male. Like almost everyone here I am one of those who are really worried about having HIV. I am bound to go to work overseas so I decided to make the most out of it before leaving my country. From the months of January-April 2015 I had protected vaginal sex with 7 sex workers and unprotected oral sex with them. Unfortunately, last April 8 my condom broke with one of sex workers and my penis was exposed for about 30 seconds. Now here is what’s happening with me:. in the 6th to 7th week after the exposure:

*I felt always tired & still sleepy even with a full nights rest.

*I got acne/rash (not sure) in my shoulders, back and chest.

*I have a cyst in my right shoulder (dont know if its a symptom)

*i have loose stools more than a month now

*have white tongue (dentist says all is normal, but she does not know my sexual activity the past months)

*back & shoulder pain

*occasional headache & sore throat

*i had NO high fever

Question is, do you think these are symptoms of HIV?? Also, I had sexual contact with my girlfriend last April 28 and now (Aug 4) she has a bump near here vagina and itchy red spots on her right arm... Im really bothered by this. I know im a *****, but I really learned my lesson this time and promised myself to clean my slate once and for all after I conquer this problem..... Looking forward to your help. Thank you! PS: Im at the Middle East right now, if I get tested and show positive I will be deported back to my home country.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sorry about that.

My brother, the first thing you should do right now is to go for infection test in a medical laboratory. Whichever infection it may be, a prescribed anti-biotics will be given to you. Because, different sexually transmitted diseases have their different symptoms, and if not treated may develop to a more complicated symptoms.

With this, i will advise you not to jump to conclusion that you have have HIV.

JUST take this first step, and you will be glad you did.

I wish you and your girl friend quick recovery.

• Posted

Thank you for your response! I would love to get a test, but since Im i the middle east, if they find me to be HIV positive (if ever) they will deport me immidiately... 
  • Posted

This is obviously causing you a large degree of angst and the only definitive way you are going to find out of there has been an infection of any sort is to get a test.

No-one on here will be able to give you a definitive answer as that can only come from tests.

I appreciate you're in a sticky problem with regard possible deportation on test results if HIV but of its any other issue you can get it sorted, if it's nothing you can be worry free and if at the remotest chance it's HIV and you do get deported at least back home you could access the relevant medication and treatment.You only get one life and health over job would seen more important to me. You'll only get deported IF it's HIV, otherwise you can get treatment locally and ensure good health continues.

If you don't get tested then you could be in for a very long period of worry as you'll not know for sure.

I have no idea how easy it is to get HIV from a relatively short exposure and on that someone may be able to put your mind to some rest.

As a thought what about getting tested in a neighboring country?

I do hope things work out for you

• Posted

Hi PVP-ouch,

Its hard to get a test from a neigbouring country because of my work contract. I would love to get tested but I dont know how to do it hear. Thank you anyway. Cheers

• Posted

UEA isn't exactly sympathetic to positive results however the following article might be worth a read and give you food for thought:

[link removed]

there is always the option, I suppose, of buying a self test kit and importing it - although is checked at entry port by customs officials it could flag up a potential.

However if you did get tested and the result was positive you probably wouldn't be able to access relevant meds without flagging up to authorities and again risk potential deportation.

But don't forget it could equally well be that you are not infected with anything.

If you get tested & negative you will get peace of mind - if positive you will be able to take action to protect your health and that of those around you

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Robb,

if you are traveling overseas, would it be a good idea to be tested while you are abroad rather than at home? Some medical centres may allow you to take the test anonymously.

• Posted

Hi Adam28402,

They do not allow anonymous testing here Adam, I hope they do! Cheers mate

• Posted

Perhaps a test when you are overseas will be a good idea
  • Posted

The changes of acquiring HIV from unprotected vaginal intercourse is estimated to be 1 in 2000 based on what I have read. Infection via oral sex is also theoretically possible. Giving oral sex is estimated at 1 in 200,000 and receiving is higher. Odds are higher if you have other STDs or she was in her period (especially for the 30 seconds condomn break). So it is hard to say what the odds are.

The initial symptoms are usually flu like symptoms and fever but what you described likely is supposed to appear at more advanced stages (several years after exposure). Against best to find a way to test yourself even after your return is not late. Odds are even if you test positive you would live a normal life especially when they catch it early. What you must not do is to let it go hoping that you are among the 1999 cases and not the one in 2000 (which is for having vaginal sex with an infected woman).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.