Doctor mistake

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm a 21 yo female. I had a potential outbreak on a Sunday. After waiting 3 days for my results, I went to the hospital to see what the problem was and why my results were taking so long. I had been swabbed when I went to the ER that Sunday. I was waiting to see if I had herpes or not. So the lab tells me the doctor put the swabs into the wrong container so they threw out the swabs. No one informed me that the doctor was an idiot and screwed up my tests. Now my outbreak is near healed so I have nothing to test. I'm so beyond irritated. I'm in a relationship of 4 months and we accidently had sex a precious Sunday without a condom. This test is extremely important to me. They didn't even care or contact me. So I'm having blood work done tomorrow and a new swab to see if this is a newly contracted herpes virus or if I even have it or if I contracted it 2 and a half years ago when I had sex 1 time with a condom. I've been crying everyday and I'm so angry and confused and freaking out.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If anyone has any knowledge on what the blood tests could show or anything about the tests I'm getting down tomorrow it'd be so grateful! I've googled so much I can't google anymore without my head bursting. Or how my boyfriend would be tested if he shows no symptoms?
  • Posted

Ask for a pcr (dna) swab, not viral culture. Superior to cultures and can detect hsv even in older lesions, or when shedding without any lesions. They can swab inside your vagina and where the outbreak is.
    • Posted

Okay I'll definitely request that. Thank you so much. I just want my mind to be at rest. Whether or not I have it, I just want to know.
    • Posted

Yeah, I totally understand. I'd be the same way. You might want to check ahead that they can do pcr swab testing. If what you have is herpes, it's not likely to be from over two years ago, though. Most people who experience a first outbreak do so within a week of infection. Just fyi.
  • Posted

Did you ever find out what was going on ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.