doctor saw abnormalities on my cervix?!?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I went to my doctor after receiving the information that I could possibly be positive for HPV.she went ahead and performed a Pap test & told me she saw a lot of abnormal cells and we would wait to see what the Pap test said and make a game plan from there...is she seeing cancer or what?!? :-( she didn't use any solutions, etc but my nurse friend told me that the only times you can see something on the cervix without using the vinegar type solution or microscope, etc is if it is invasive cancer! I hope someone can help me make sense of all this! Thanks for any help, it's greatly appreciated! :-)

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Not being disrespectful to your friend but how many smears has she personaly done and what training has she had in taking them?
  • Posted

I think you should give the Dr. a call and discuss the concerns your friend has raised in you and the Dr. you are seeing may be able to clear your mind a little bit.

I hope so.

If your friend has the Masters..etc...she should be more specific and give you other examples of what OTHER things besides cancer could cause a Dr. to say she felt things were abnormal.

• Posted

I went through the same as you and it turned out to be nothing. Please don't panic x
  • Posted

The only thing you can see with the naked eye on the cervix is inflammation, erosion or some sort of irritation caused from an infection, etc.  The cervix will look reddish or "angry" from cancer but there are so many other things that can cause it too.  You cannot see cells except under a microscope.  Get your results from the HPV test before you get too concerned.  A biopsy of the cervix is the only way to diagnose anything wrong with it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.