Doctor stopped orlistat

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all. I'm new to this. My doctor stopped orlistat after 5 months of taking it as he thought I didn't lose enough weight.

I have lost a good amount of weight but because I didn't have time to see doctor for a review for 6 weeks (as I didn't take it for 6 weeks) didn't lose weight after my final review.

I asked my doctor if I can continue but he refused. I need help as I'm putting on weight and need orlistat again. It was unfair my doctor stopped it as for 1 month I didn't lose weight.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear that your GP has taken you off Orlistat. 

You should lose around 5% of your weight within the first 3 months and so on. I lost 1 stone 5lbs in my first 3 months which my GP said was a slow loss. I do have a underactive thyroid which does slow weight loss down and Ive just had a blood test to check my levels which thankfully are normal or my GP would have also stopped my prescription.

I have now lost 1st 9lbs so its still coming off very slowly as Im now nearly into my fifth month, My next review is due in July and Im also worried that my weight loss won't be enough to get another 3 months on the pills.

I currently weigh 13st 1lb and started at 14st 10lbs and Im 5ft 8 so I still have around 2 1/2 stone to lose to get to my ideal weight.

You can buy the pills online without a prescription but they are very expensive or you could buy the Alli which are half the strength but they work out cheaper to buy.

I would go back to your surgery but ask for a different GP and tell them you are worried about your future health with being overweight and you want to do something about it now that's how I got on the pills again (this is my 3rd time) I do have heart disease & diabetes in my family which does worry me and is a genuine concern if I don't get my weight down. Just explain that you didn't take them for 6 weeks so that is why the weight hadn't come down enough. Ring them up and get an appointment it's worth a try show them that you are determined to stick to diet and take the pills as you should.

Good luck and fingers crossed you will get another prescription smile

• Posted

Also meant to ask in my last reply how much weight did you lose in 5 months?
  • Posted

I did take these some time ago but sadly it didn't agree with me, I cut my calories to 1500 a day and started Zumba ive lost 6 stone in 11 months, sadly you can't rely on these tablets forever but you can count on eating better and exercise i know sadly some people don't want to hear that, but at my biggest i was 22stone in 2014 i am now 13stone, it was hard but these tablets are not the answer 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.