Doctor told me I have to go on statins

Posted , 5 users are following.

He gave me the prescription and I haven't filled it and I daren't.  Even though my dad and mum take them without any problems.  

I am just too scared and reading the side effects just makes me not want to try them.  

Help I am only 34.  

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Nobody can tell you to take them or not. Sounds like you've done your research. So you probably already know the pro's and cons. I can only give my personal experience , whitch turned out not too good over the long haul. But I was on them from 2004 to 2015. Don't think my problems are reversible now. But many people have not had any problems. With me , I didn't recognize that nerve and muscle problems were related to statins. Dr.s kept saying everything was related to aging or some other med. Problem was , I wasn't taking any other meds. Now , SOME , Dr.s admit they were wrong but most want even admit to that. I think the docs just blindly believe what the pharmaceuticals tell them and disregard evidence provided by other reaserch. Anyway , it's still your decision , so good luck with whatever path you choose.

• Posted

It sounds like cholesterol is a problem in your family and at 34 your GP would not lightly prescribe them. Be guided by the fact that your parents have no problem with them rather than what you have read.

Do you smoke or drink ? Think of the scare stories on tobaco and alcohol.

• Posted

Can I ask what your choelesterol is? I think if you read about the prescribing of these meds you will see they are prescribing them for much lower numbers of choelesterol then they used to. I read an article that said some doctors even thought they should be added to public drinking water. Do you have an actual health problem or is it just because he feels since your parents have some health issues you should take them? Do alot of research,no one can tell you what is best for you. After what I went through,I doubt I will try taking them again. Xx Read user reviews for specific statins on the internet -will tell you what others have experienced. And no doctor can tell you what you HAVE to do. You hired them. You pay them. Its your body.

• Posted

Alison, first I am sorry that you health is such that your Dr feels that Statins are the answer. As you say your parents have no side effects which is great news. No doubt you Dr has take then and come back in x months for blood tests and we will see how you are getting on.  Which is the correct procedure. I woudl suggest that you try the statins and give it a go. BUT you shodul keep a diary of how you feel and aches pains or twinges that you get. So that when you next sit down with your Dr you can discuss the whole issue including how you feel about taking statins. As part of this process I suggest that you take lots of exercise and depending on your weight and BMI reduce your weight change you diet if you have to as these all impact on your cholesterol levels. This is all about you taking ownership of your body and any aliments you may get in life. I have found that doing this with my GP's has changed their approach to me and any ailments I get. I used to have very high cholesterol and now its below 5. Do I take medication yes I do but not statins as I asked to be refered to a lipid clinic where they can provide alternatives. Yes they tried me on statins but I was not on them for long. Exercise and diet can help you a great deal. 

The choice is yours its your body. I wish you well on getting this matter resolved.

• Posted

I shoudl also add that I have been on hypertension drugs since I was 35 I am now 68. It was suggested that I go on statins 10 years ago but they were not suitable for me. So I still stick by my comment it is all down to knowledge, diet, exercise and talking honestly to your doctor. Plus taking ownership of yoru body and understanding risk which we all have to take.
    • Posted

Well..I know plenty of people that have high blood pressure,in fact one of my best friends has it,she also has a family history,and shes almost 60. Her doctor does not have her on statins. Xx she also is on 3 meds to control it.
    • Posted

No offense but if she wanted to tell us that I think she should have.
    • Posted

I used to have hbp every time I went to my doctors. He then had me monitor it at home. At first I got high readings at home too,problem was I was so scared of having hbp that I would scare myself each time I took it,so I'd even get high readings at home. Some how I changed my thought paytern when doing it. Normal bp at home. Turns out I had something termed White coat syndrome. High readings when Id go to the doctors. Doctors used to make me very nervous. Im not saying she has that but some do and they would all be put on statins too if their doctor didnt have them monitor it at home as well. Thought would be everyone with high blod pressure readings at their doctors apts had to go on statins.

• Posted

No point in making two posts at the same time each with half the story and expect helpful answers. 
    • Posted

I've been on various ones for 16 years with little benefit and am now 81.  

• Posted

I would appreciate it if you didn't tell people I have 2 separate threads going about different things.  This is nothing to do with my hypertension drugs.  I am not on 3 drugs at all. 

• Posted

I was on here and thought oh they might help me with my statin query, not to have it examined!
    • Posted

Obviously hypertension and future cardiac disease can  go  together and the doctor  has obviously made that connection.

Anyone not subscribing to statins and hypertension will not see both posts and will be misled by half the story.

It is like going to two different doctors and only telling him half of your symptoms. People here want to help so need to know.

You did say that you had not taken the third drug as you were afraid of it.

• Posted

They do need to know why the doctor wants you to take it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.