Doctor wants me to start methotrexate for Sarcoidosis and I'm afraid of the side effects!

Posted , 4 users are following.

He wants to start me on 2.5 mg. Do I really want to take this?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kpiscit22,

My daugher is 15 and on 15 mg of Methotrexate, just dropped down from 20 mg.  She was complaining of hair loss and the rheumatologist seems to think the hair loss is from the inflammation in her body (arthritis) rather than the drug.  However, this drug concerns me a great deal.  I am not sure I even want her on the drug.  Her and I have decided together to try the lower dose.  However, I've been doing some research and I will keep researching until I figure out what is best for her.  I want to try a natural route rather than these harsh drugs.  But I'm in a tough spot.  This drug can have a number of awful side effects.  But what I'm told is the lower doses don't cause as many side effects.  Where you are going on 2.5 mg, you may want to try and see how it works with your body.

Kathleen

• Posted

you're better off having the injection than the tablets - fewer side effects and better absorption.  They're no harder than insulin and administered via a penject.

• Posted

I take 20mg once a week for psoriasis. I have been on MTX for just over a year now. I had very in depth talk with the consultant before I started taking it. It has helped my psoriasis significantly, which in turn helps my overall health. The main side effect for me was nausea. I was advised to take mine on a night time then go to bed. I take 5mg of folic acid 6 days a week (not on the same day as MTX).

The decision to take MTX is something personal to you. The best person to discuss your concerns with will be your GP or Consultant.

Good luck with whatever you decide :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.