dodgy knee

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just wondering if anyone can help 4 weeks post op i can straighten my leg completely but when i walk or stand my knee flicks forward a little has anyone had the same and if so is this normal thanks any advice appreciated.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Johnny well done on getting it straight - I am at 5 weeks and wondering if it will ever be straight again. Perhaps this reaction is just your muscles learning to work together again ? Do you go to PT ? They would be able to explain it I am sure.
    • Posted

Hi went to physio yesterday he said it will get better as my muscles improve hope hes right lol take care.
  • Posted

Not to worry. I assume most of us has had that experience. It's a matter of muscle strength and control. As you gain back your muscle strength, this will probably go away.

• Posted

Not sure I understand what flicks forward means...do you mean you feel like a clicking in your knee? Now I do get that.my understanding is that since we have somthing mechanical replacing our real knee that it wont feel exactly like it did ,but if its not hurting you id amagine it to be normal.Would never hezitate to ask your dr. For answers.peace of mind is everything.hope all is well.
  • Posted

Four weeks and you're at zero degrees?  Really?  I think I'll just shoot myself right now or call Brooklyn and take out a contract on myself.  I'm sure Carmine and Vito would enjoy the plane ride to Texas to do the hit...

KG is right...after PT, ya gotta hit the gym to rebuild quads, glutes and core.  The strength will support the knee.  Wobbly now...perfect later.

• Posted

Hi Johnny17592

im three weeks post op and find that the daily round of excersises have helped strengthen my knee. When I get too confident I walk with out a crutch and find my operated knee gives way.  I guess it's months of excersise that will strengthen a knee which we favoured. My surgeon said that my right leg had bowed and the muscles had atrophied. Now I find I'm getting stronger and able to do more.  It's early days but we need to do the basics.  I've gone to a Physio so that he can keep me on track with my excersises etc. eventually I will do hydro therapy and ride my stationary bicycle .. Tried that last week..... Pain!!!!   Not ready for that yet!   

Hang in there and don't stop excersisi g. 

Kind regards

Dutchgirl52

• Posted

Hi - you sound like you are doing great. I am in week 5 and can walk with out a crutch but look like a demented penguin !! My PT advised me to start walking unaided in a very considered manner so as to not limp. Walk slowly heel down the roll the foot through till the toes take the weight. It actually makes a huge difference and even with my leg not being straight it does stop the waddle !!!
    • Posted

Hi Dutchgirl

your right i am exactly the same walk without the stick and it feels like my knee will give way it hasnt but it shatters the confidence a little i know from other people ion this site that its a long process and patience is the only way forward good luck to uo and take care.

• Posted

I know. I practice walkng without a crutch at home. I have a long hallway with a mirror at the end. I can then see if I am waddling or walking correctly for posture etc. that way I don't create a bad walking habit. When I go out I use the stick but find I'm not putting much weight on it.  It does give you privileges tho, people are kind and patient. It will take time and I guess we need to learn patience

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.