Does a panic disorder feel this way?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, 5 or so months ago I expermented with marijuana for the first time. I had never smoked it before.

I experienced fear and panic because I was sure I was going to be killed/die due to being so paranoid during the high. Since then I havent felt the same. I have gone through a lot of symptoms and have seen a lot of therapists who have been useless. I feel alone, and mentally insane.

I am terrified I have schzophrenia or another sevrere menal illness. despite not seeing any hallucinations or having any delusions (i hope not).

The psychologists/therapist say I am suffering from an anxiety disorder.

I have trouble believeing this because wherever I read- it seems that an anxiety disorder (panic disorder) IS MAINLY pani attacks.

I dont suffer from panic attacks (apart from random heart palpitations, fear of going insane, fear of losing control/touch with reality)

I also feel I have lost touch with reality/ I think I am depersonalized too but in a more derealization sort of way.

Perhaps I do suffer from panic attacks everyday at random times but only experience them as a strong streak of fear and dispair?

is this normal to an anxiety disorder?

is this what an anxiety disorder commonly feels like?

I FEEL INSANE 24/7 LIKE NOTHING IS RIGHT OR WILL EVER BE.

I want to know, to ease my mind....

if this is really a panic disorder....

I feel the psychiatrists cant help me.... if they cant... then who can?

help me.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

This is pretty normal for an anxiety disorder. Obviously I'm no doctor but can tell you about what I know. It's very coon to feel detached from the world, like your going mad and nothing is real, like your in a dream. Do you have any physical symptoms?? For me I get chest pain, short of breath, weird feeling in my throat, muscle tension, fast heart rate, dizziness, the list goes on. If your suffering with this symptoms to them I'm almost 100% sure it's anxiety. 
  • Posted

These are very common symptoms of an anxiety disorder. The brain is seeking an explanation for why the body has gone into the sympathetic nervous system defense mode (fight or flight reflex). It will then come up with every possibility it can think of as to why this is happening ie. I'm about to die, there is something terribly wrong with me, I'm going mad, I have some unsuspected illness etc. in fact, any catastrophic scenario it can come up with because the body is telling it that it is under threat by releasing adrenaline into your bloodstream to protect you (which causes all kinds of strange and uncomfortable sensations including derealisation, rapid heart rate, sweating, shaky legs, over-breathing, muscle tension in the chest and many others). The good news is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with you apart from feeling anxiety. For reassurance it is always a good idea to get checked out by your GP for any physical symptoms but if nothing then it is just anxiety. Nothing will happen to you. It is not a mental illness. You are not going mad. It is your bodys own defense mechanism you are feeling. Horrible, I know, but not actually anything to be worried about as it will do you no harm whatsoever. You are not schizophrenic (I used to think this too), you don't have any of the symptoms.You are perfectly normal. Many hundreds of thousands of people suffer these feelings every day. The way out of it is to get educated about it, which you are doing and then stop running away from the feelings and thoughts that it produces. That sounds scary, doesn't it, but by avoiding, running away from, or trying to get rid of it, you are sending a signal to your body that there really is some danger that needs avoiding . It will then obligingly pump out more adrenaline, causing more upsetting symptoms, then you worry more about what is happening to you, it pumps out more, and so on, round and round. So we get caught in a vicious cycle about nothing becuase there is nothing wrong. The THC in the marijuana wll have left your system months ago so it cannot be affecting you. To recap then. You got a scare from the strange sensations of marijuanna (long gone) which released a bit of adrenaline.  You have then perpetuated the anxiety by dwelling and worrying about it. You are maintaining the fear by believing that there is something terrible happening to you. There isn't. This is the oldest trick in anxiety's book. There really is nothing wrong with you but I agree it is a very convincing illusion. Have a look at other posts on this forum to reassure yourself that you are not the only one and for further info. Good luck and big hug xx  ps. there is information out there that connects excessive and large amounts of marijuanna use with psychotic illness but I should point out to you that you only smoked it once (not enough) and if you were truly psychotic you wouldn't be able to write your very coherent post. Also you would be hearing and seeing things that are not there (which you are not). You are frightened, that's all. It is not a mental illness.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for this. I have made progress but I still have the strange sensations from "the anxiety". And I still have the derealization although I'm not as afraid of it. I wish it'd go away. A year and a half is a long time
  • Posted

Hi Hun it's pretty normal with some people cannabis is very strong these days and it can trigger anxiety prob best you don't try it again if you take any drug and think your going to die your most likely have a panic attack. I use to suffer with panic attcaks and heart paputations due to my anxiety I found exercise haloed me to chill also it stopped my anxiety... Hope this helps 
  • Posted

thank you all for replying. Sometimes I get heart palpitations like I have butterflies in my heart (ectopic heart beats)?

sometimes a little out of breath

fatigued nearl everyday

head preassure/headaches here and there

I do get random nausea attacks

I get random chills

I also see floaters when looking at the sky and at the computer screen

I have visual snow (like grainy vision) when waking up and during night time

pkus the crazy vivid dreams that feel so real sad

• Posted

How have you been since then? I'm really relating to your post and wondering how everything fared??
  • Posted

I feel the same and I know its awful. Had it 3months. I'm now on fluoxetine 5weeks 20mg no luck yet. My baby is due in 5wks so its a nightmare!! I don't understand it but it is a anxiety disorder and its 24/7

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.