Does anyone else have physical anxiety symptoms 24/7

Posted , 175 users are following.

Hi. I just wondered if what I'm experiencing is normal. For the past 2-3 months I've had constant anxiety symptoms. I'm not just talking anxious thoughts (although I have those all the time), I'm talking physical symptoms. All day long, I have a horrible tightness in my chest, butterflies in my stomach, dry mouth, internal shaking in my legs and adrenaline rushes up and down my body. I can't control the symptoms, no matter how hard I try. When it first hit, it was different. I had constant nausea & a general feeling of not being able to cope. But I could switch out of it sometimes and feel normal. Now I can never switch out of it. It's there all the time, although the nausea has stopped. I even have it in my sleep because I've actually felt it in my dreams and when I wake up, it's still there. (Not that I can sleep much in this state. 5 hours is the most I ever have.) I'm on Citalopram but if anything, it's made my anxiety worse. The leg symptoms weren't there before I went on the drug and nor was the chest tightness.

29 likes, 241 replies

241 Replies

Next
  • Edited

hi, ive suffered for the last 25 years with anxiety,and ive had some really bad times,i still do, it can be dangerous to know too much about an illness the more you look into it the more you think you will never find a cure,with anxiety its all in the mind that's why at times its so scary,your thoughts make a mountain out of a molehill,and at times you will think you are going mad, the simple little task can be the most terrifying,the medication you are taking can sometimes take 4-6 weeks before you reap the benefits from them,as john Milton once said " the mind is its own place,and in itself can make a heaven of hell,a hell of heaven,i do wish you all the best,
    • Posted

25 years of non stop anxiety ?? this is literally freaking me out 
    • Posted

Hi Sarah sorry to hear about what you're going through I can't imagine going through anxiety for that long mine started 8 years ago I felt sick to my stomach I couldn't eat I couldn't sleep can't get off the couch my heart rate was 140 went to the hospital several times finally I wasn't mad it had all kind of test time it was treating me for anxiety the heart doctors finally said I had tachycardia I was put on metoprolol it took about a month to kick in I started feeling better I have my colonoscopy and endoscopy and wind up having acid reflux that what started first then the fast heart I have an appointment with my heart doctor may need a mes adjustment but that worries me don't want my heart rate to low it's between 80-94 beata a min with medicine when it was in the 60 with medicine but that's the only time I get anxiety when something is wrong just wanted to let you know I know how u feel I feel like I'm fighting to make it through the day

• Posted

Erectile dysfunction is defo a part of anxiety for alot of peeps and you need to have sex to be able to release the endorphins ( feel good chemicals) like exercise . I think yr mind tells you that yr sexual appetite is low and as you know its just because of the constant anxiety. Its all just physcological and it wont be a perminant dysfunction but the misses might get fed up.
    • Posted

Hi I've had anxiety for about 20 years it don't get any better for me I've just stopped the citilapram going through hell at the minute can you tell me if any medication worked better for you

• Posted

hi Adrian, i have suffered from anxiety and consequently OCD for about 10 years now. I was also on Citalopram, tapered down couple of months ago and I have the crippling anxiety back. Started Paretin (paroxetine) 3 days ago, but no help so far.
    • Posted

I have been breathing very deep and fast most of the time for the last three months and it is scaring me  i started 3 months ago but i went to the doctor and she didn't say anything about me breathing fast or deep is it just in my head or what

• Posted

I just wanted to know if your short breaths are worse when you stand up. My symptoms seem much more noticeable when I am standing. If I sit it seems not as bad...
    • Posted

You may want to check into a condition called Dysautonomia/POTS. This is a condition that is caused by your nervous system where your blood pressure does not regulate properly . It will cause issues when you go from sitting to standing...

Maybe just do a Google search and see if that fits..

Good luck!

• Edited

Hi

My physical symptoms had gotten worse over the summer and can empathise how awful they are. I would have a tightness of the chest, unable to swallow or breathe properly, and an upset stomach.. all being fuelled by further panic. i was reluctant at the time to go on AD as i hadn't found one which i was compatible with, however I was prescribed beta blockers (propranolol 40mg) which i took when i felt a bit wobbly. They did calm me down. I am now on the same anti depressants as you ( 10mg) and i prefer these to the the beta blockers which was not controlling my emotional anxiety which i can thankfully say is much better.

Obviously, i did try self help techniques such as controlling breathing and CBT etc but i had gotten too far in my habit which was fuelling my anxiety. Im currently getting counselling which is also helping.

Its an individual journey to recovery so id speak to your GP about maybe trying propranolol if its suitable for you

Good luck

• Edited

Hi Lisa,

When I read what you said about not being able to breathe properly and other symptoms you mentioned it was like describing how I feel. It's awful, the breathing thing is really uncomfortable and unsettling.

How are you doing now?

Amy

• Posted

Hey its ben a month since you posted this. But in dying to know exactly how you felt and what your symptoms were . And if you found an answer . It strated with me one day just couldn't breathe, on top of all my anxiety n dizziness i had 24/7 i was still kinda functioning.. but now its been a month of no breathing, feel like something is stuck in like almost my sternum.. i also have acid reflux , very wierd stomach issues that have gotten wired since the breathing problem started ive been to the ER so many times for high heart rate ans pounding heart but they all blamed it on anxiety . UGH so frustrating. Im constantly swaying because if dizziness and my obvious issue with balance . Its scary . Just wondering if you felt similar??

Maddi

• Edited

I'm glad I found a recent reply. I've suffered with anxiety since 2011. I'm now 21. It's been a huge part of my life these last few years and although it sucks I try to use it to help others by sharing my story. My anxiety showed up randomly, and I still get attacks without triggers for the most part. My symptoms feel scary when it does happen and once one goes away it is replaced by another. BUT I have had stretches of feeling good and like my normal self for days, weeks, months. So I stay hopeful. I am in nursing school which is stressful and I think can trigger it. I also tend to overthink the symptoms and sensations i get. Currently ive been having steady anxiety symptoms since this October. Lots of dizziness(cured by massage therapy) then heart palpitations and chest pain (ecg ruled out issues, plus i could work out without pain!) and now a tight feeling in my throat with shortness of breath(again, i can workout and feel fine, i think because my mind cant focus on it) The symptoms are rough. It can make everything feel impossible. Even after feeling these things before and having had this feeling for a few days again now its hard for you to not keep thinking about it and being concerned. Just know that you are ok. You will have relief. While my anxiety used to make me feel alone, depressed, and lost Ive now found my identity with it. Its important not to hide it, be open, do your best at work and school etc. and have a sense of humor. Its amazing how many people youll meet who have suffered similarly once you open up. Also, I have taken zoloft and ativan since 2012. Ive had some dosage changes in my zoloft which may be my reason for the current anxiety. Stay strong. Stay honest. Remember you are so very far from alone.

• Posted

I also have shortness of brearh 24/7 and heart rate increases. Its worse when I stand or eat. Feel like a lump in the throat tight chest feeling. I started 10mg of citaliptam and it's been 2 weeks. I'm waiting to see if it's all anxiety related. I have had ct scan, ecgs.ekgs.and next a scope and heart ultrasound. Dr. Thought I had svt heart arythmia. But my heart rate increases from the short of breath. Just wondered if meds helped to relieve your symptoms.

• Posted

Hi there. Meds have sometimes helped relieve my symptoms. I take 25 mg or 50 mg of Lorazepam as needed. Sometimes the symptoms come along with the anxious and doomsday feeling but othertimes I will feel ok and these symptoms appear out of nowhere, as if my body is stressed and responding to just putting up with it but I am unaware. In the last week I have just felt very tired and achy and haven't had too many symptoms but have been aware of my heart at various times during the day (I try to stay busy so I won't notice it or think about it, its not easy to stop thinking of once it happens). I have had random shooting pains in my ribs and sternum but I believe it is stress manifesting itself. I am in nursing school which I think adds to me overthinking and fearing the worst. I just remind myself that when something actually life threatening is happening I will pass out and there will be doctors and nurses to figure out what to do. I worry so much about myself and all these sensations etc and realize thart many sick people barely paid attention like that. Health issues happen to everyone and will most likely come to find us one day but right now we are very much well. Our problem is anxiety. It takes away your happiness and your ease. The worst thing we can do is think about all the crappy feelings and what ifs! Of course its easier to say we should stop thinking about it than it actually is to do. Just know that you are well! There is no rare condition you have that they cannot find (I tell myself often that maybe just maybe they are missing something!), your body is well but your mind is making it sick with a flood of chemicals making you feel anxious and ill. Take your meds as prescribed and stay busy (an idle mind is dangerous)! Also, do not be afraid to talk about it. Hiding it makes it so much worse. I joke about my neurotic ways a lot and have found that I am not alone! Stay strong and know that there will be better days and that you are so not alone!

• Posted

But to answer your question (sorry I babble) I take  25 mg Lorazepam (Ativan) if I have a tough day ahead or if I feel like I am starting to get anxious, heart racing, shortness of breath, sweaty, etc. 50 mg if I get an attack and need help right away! I try not to take them daily so the effect stays strong when I do but if I am going through daily 6/10 or worse anxiety and stress symptoms I take a half of or a whole 25mg each morning. I have just started taking magnesium glyconate supplements and folic acid (mag mildly helps with heart racing and folic acid supports healthy nervous system function) and will see how it goes. I also cut coffee out. I love coffee but I started to get jumpy after even one cup. So now I try to have less than one cup a week. I don't drink soda, and I know only drink a glass of wine maybe twice a month (don't mix with Ativan or anxiety meds though!). Caffeine and booze started to be real triggers for me and caused me to feel my heart wayyy too much. I also find that eating well helps (perhaps psychologically). Fresh foods and homemade foods are great for energy and keeping you feeling less groggy and sickly. I also drink ice water constantly to keep myself feeling ok (it helps for nausea, throat tightness, and helps get your mind off of things). Some people swear by using ice packs on their hands and back and neck to relieve anxiety too. 

• Posted

Thank you so much. I feel I'm going crazy here...wondering if.I've had a nervous breakdown. I'm still going to finish with the last few tests. Dr. Thought maybe esophaegal spasms may be causing this. Once I rule everything out, (to ease my mind) I suppose I have to accept that it really could ALL be caused by the stress and anxiety I have had in my life. I am still going to take the meds prescribed and give them a chance to work. It's been 2 weeks on meds and I know it can take 4 to 6 to see results. I am just relieved to know how many.people are feeling this way....although I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Thanks again for your response. I am also going to try cognitive therapy. I want my life back and I hate feeling controlled. I wish you good health. 😊

• Edited

Good luck. Prolonged stress and anxiety does some weird stuff to your body. I just tell myself that if something was truly wrong I would be passed out or doubled over in pain. Its definitely not easy. Especially when the symptoms add to the stress! Try all you can to keep your body and mind occupied and take the prescitbed meds(afterall these manifestations are caused by our messed up chemicals that need to get back in check).

Merry Christmas! Wishing you a more relaxing time!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your post. I have been dealing with anxiety over 7 months. Been to the emergency room over 20xs. Thinking I'm having a heartattack.

• Edited

Liz I'm in the same boat I've been battling anxiety panic depression for over 25 yrs if you want you can email me at debaryy11 @ aol . com would be nice to have someone that knows exactly how you feel hope your doing better

• Posted

hi there,

I just wanted to say that your story mirrors my own. I am 51 years old and have been dealing with panic/anxiety issues since age 17.. they SUCK!  I have bee on zoloft (50mgs,100 mgs at times) and corgard (beta blocker) since age 32. I just want you to know that i sympathize with your situation and am so glad that you were able to get meds at an early age. Keep taking them even whe you feel fine!  I have learned the hard way that stress really triggers attacks... and being lax in taking the meds (like i have done in the past) makes a huge negative impact. I have big issues with my blood pressure going crazy high while having a panick attack, try to monitor that if its an issue for you as well. Hang in there, good wishes and thinking of you.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing! I have similar anxiety problems
    • Posted

Hi maddi,

I have your symptoms to a T. Have you had any luck with a diagnosis or is it still anxiety? I keep trying so hard to tell myself it's anxiety, but these symptoms are just so scary. Almost went to the ER last night. The chest pains that radiate to my back, on top of the extreme dizziness is just terrifying.

• Posted

Me too it has been 7 yrs for me and I am so afraid to try meds I tried Prozac and it made things so much worse I would love to hear how people are doing and what has helped 
    • Posted

I have the same thing. This past week I was and still am having a major family issue and my anxiety has been 24/7 and in overdrive. I feel like I have shortness of breath, afraid to eat, my legs are weak and shaky, tightness around my upper abdomen. I can't wait to go to bed at night because all anxiety goes away. When I wake up in the morning the first 15-30 minutes are great. Let me feel one little twinge of anything I am done for the day. This has been a bad week normally I only have partially bad days but not every day. So tired of living like this and being terrified something physical is wrong with me when like all of you tests gave come back normal

• Edited

Hi Db

I think we all have been there when things get tough so does your anxiety and physical symptoms kick in. I'm the same I have some days which are great and some days where I feel awful. I suffer from ibs which goes hand in hand with anxiety and can zap you of all energy. It took me a while to come to terms with these two disorders but do my best to battle both them. Keep your chin up pal and hope things work out for you at home..

• Posted

I am new to this. It started about 2 weeks ago in the evening just out of the blue I got a horrible feeling of dred and doom and feeling like I was going to die.  Also I have had bronchitis on top of this happening. I’ve been to the ER 4 times in 5 day with the same results. Every thing seems fine other than giving me antibiotics for the bronchitis. The shortness of breath has been going on for several days now. I just want to feel normal again. Is the anxiety causing the tingling in my toes and fingers, shortness of breath and the feeling like their is something seriously wrong with me that I might end up dying?  I have never dealt with anything like this in 39 years. 
    • Edited

Hi chris88400 I think the shortness of breath and the tingling of fingers and toes sounds like a panic attack. I know all about constant anxiety. Mine is absolutely horrendous and the thoughts that my anxiety latches onto I don't like sharing so as not to inflict others with these thoughts. If it is a panic attack, just know that they all go away if you just stay calm and breath slowly. You don't have to breath deeply every time, just normal calm slow breathing will do it. it should go away fairly quickly. There is usually an underlying reason for the anxiety so consider seeing the doctor and a therapist maybe. I hope this is a little help at least.

• Posted

I see you posted this about a year ago , I exaclty have the sam problem with the breathing thing , is rediculous , how do you cope or did you cope , somwthing always feela stuck in sternum
    • Edited

Hi Jacques I know what you re talking about its like you can't get a deep enough breath and you feel you're going to suffocate,it usually happens in the evening,what I found that helps is just shallow breathe for a few seconds or fake a yawn and get up and do something to take your mind off it even if its only a phone call at your front door!Hope I was able to help a little bit.

• Posted

IM going through that I feel like any little thing triggers me to have bad thoughts and it's hard trying to stay at peace and in control but reading all your comments and knowing I'm not alone in this and knowing it's all in your head is making me feel peaceful only thing that scares me is sinking feelings in my chest that I get if I get too too anxious but I'm feeling a bit fine now

• Posted

Do you have chest tightness as well? I've had that plus left side shoulder pain that doesn't last for more than a few seconds to a minute along with that. Brain fog and feeling off-kilter too.

• Posted

Liz I’m a current nursing student, and I please ask if I could discuss this issue further with you. I’m through hell, have been for the past few months, would mean the world to me if you reach out to me. My email is:

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Hi Liz ~ How are you doing now with the anxiety? Do you think the meds help?

Best to you,

Cherie

• Posted

Hey there. I am reading this feed, 5 years later! I was wondering how it ever panned out for you with your anxiety? Please let me know if you get this and I am hoping you are feeling great and the anxiety is a thing of the past.

Thanks!

Cherie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.