Does anyone experience fatigue without heavy periods?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I kind of asked this in a very long winded post last month but it got a bit lost in my other questions. I basically want to know can fiboids cause fatigue when there's not heavy bleeding?

My main complaint is severe fatigue. Which has been around for nearly 2 years of varying degrees. The past 2 months have been unbearable and I'm unable to work. I had an ultrasound and 2 fibroids (which were outside the uterus) were found along with a bulky, retroverted uterus. I do have a lot of abdominal pain & pressure and lots of rashes, mostly on my neck and abdomen.

My periods are really quite light though. They are very reliability 28 days apart and last about 2-3 days and are not heavy. If blood loss is not causing my fatigue, what is? Does just having fibroids cause fatigue?

My iron levels are normal. As are b12 and thyroid.

I see the gynaecologist in 4 weeks.

Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there betty,  I can understand your dilemma there. Its a tricky one. I once read someone saying they thought fibroids can still cause tiredness perhaps due to the blood supply, but I would have to check that out. I can see why your fibroids dont cause heavy periods, its because they are on the outside and subserosal, those ones do not affect the periods as submucosal and submural do, but can cause pressure as you have. Tiredness can be caused by so many other things and can be difficult to pin down thats the thing. Even lack of exercise or feeling a bit down can have an effect as of course not getting adequate sleep and aspects of diet, maybe a food allergy? (I see of course you have ruled out thyroid and b12 already which I would have also suspected after iron deficiency and anaemia).  If you have ruled everything out it might be worth looking at other things about lifestyle. I am not totally convinced though that fibroids dont cause tiredness in general though. I have them (including one subserosal on the outside like you) I get tired too. My iron is back to normal now and I take esmya on and off so that really lightens periods and stops them whilst on it. For me though the esmya makes you tired when you take it so I put it down to that at the moment. It would be worth knowing more about if there are any reasons or links to tiredness for fibroids, maybe the weight of carrying them around could be an option ?   
  • Posted

I was having the same but my periods are very heavy in also have fibriods but my fatigue was due to vitamin d deficincy x ask for this to be looked at 
  • Posted

Hi Betty I have just had a hysterectomy 6 weeks ago due to a large fibroid . I was the same no heavy bleeding just pressure. I had alot of tiredness before due to not sleeping well as it was pressing on my bladder so was getting up in the night for the loo I also had slot of aches and pains in my joints but I was peri menapausal before op. You don't say how old you are so not sure if same applies to you.

If you want any more advice please don't hesitate to ask we are a great group of gals haha xx

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I'm 37 so probably a little while away from menopause. I haven't had any other menopausal symptoms.

My gp's just don't seem to have much of a clue. Some say the fibroids couldn't cause fatigue at all which I know isn't true as they often cause blood loss and anemia and some have said my fatigue and abdominal issues are unrelated, which I find odd add the started the same time.

I sleep fairly well. Usually 8-10 hours but I've never been the most relaxed sleeper. So the quality probably isn't the best. But prior to all this starting I worked full time and did fairly intense weight training plus would do weekend activities all on less sleep. Now I have to lie down after walking up the stairs!

The other thing that's been raised by the gp is ovarian cancer...they originally referred me to gynaecology urgently because of my symptoms and increasing ca125 levels but the gynaecologist down graded it to routine due to my young age.

• Posted

Poor you your obviously very worried,I will be honest I'm not 100% sure they are related either but I'm no doctor.if it was me I would go back to my gp and tell him exactly how you feel as chronic fatigue could be related to other issues not necessarily serious either Hun, you really need to get him or her to listen to you.

Try not to over think things and worry yourself silly ok and don't google your symptoms it's the worse thing you can do and it never usually is what they say

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.