Does anyone find that the Seretide inhaler does not have much effect?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been using it for about 4 years now and recently it does not seem to have much effect.

I was watching Bang Goes the Theory tonight and they were talking about the fact that some people do not react well to Salmeterol which is the drug in the Seretide inhaler.

They were giving children with asthma an alternative drug called montelukast and I was wondering if maybe this drug could have more effect for people like me who do not seed to get much relief from Salmeterol.

Has anyone else got any views on this?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I suppose there is a difference between not reacting well to a drug and not feeling benefit at all. Seretide has good evidence behind its use in COPD patients - the issue is that regular Seretide is not supposed to stop you feeling acutely out of breath but is supposed to control the underlying disease process. If you have a salbutamol inhaler you should use this for episodes of breathlessness. I appreciate it is difficult to rationalise taking a medicine which doesn't make you feel physically any different it will have a positive effect. I think it may be worth considering discussing this with your GP, in particular inhaler technique and the strength of inhaler you are currently on. Montelukast is not licensed for use in COPD and is only used in asthma patients so wouldn't be suitable in this case. It is not uncommon for children with asthma to stop salmeterol and similar medicines if there is no benefit and to start alternatives such as montelukast.

Tarun (hospital pharmacist)

• Posted

Thank you Tarun, I will speak to my GP when I have my check up in May. I tend not to use the ventolin too often, as my previous GP suggested it would in fact make me worse if I overused it?

I will speak to my GP about it all, I have not discussed it with my new GP since joining a new practice about a year ago, I have only seen the nurse who does my spirometry tests.

Thank you again.

Rob

• Posted

If you are still having trouble and thinking about Montelukast I would see if your GP will let you try it. I have seen reputable trials that say it works for COPD as well as asthma. I have recently started to use it for asthma and it has reduced my use of ventolin and inhaled steroid. The main issues with it seem to be bad dreams and anxiety if you are that way inclined.
  • Posted

I am on that one and no I don't really find it works do you get a lot of sore throats and are you told to stay away from people with colds just something I was told and wanted to check to see if anyone else has these problems as well 
  • Posted

If you feel your prescribed medication is not helping you, you should return to your GP and discuss alternatives.

However, if you are feeling fine when on the prescribed medication as some people seem to say that they don't need it, then you could consider that it is the drug that is helping you feel fine.

On the other hand these drugs don't cure they just help us breathe easier by opening up the airways and as in the case of steroid inhalers help prevent inflammation.

With COPD we do still get out of breath and have reduced levels of physical activity even when the condition is stable with the medications, the difference is without the inaler medicines for many of us with COPD our breathing and activity becomes more difficult and our condition becomes unstable.

Salmeterol is a broncho dilater, there are many other broncho dilaters, I personally take all my inhalers separately none of them in a combination inhaler.

Can't advise on montelukast.  If your diagnosis is asthma and not COPD or you have both asthma and COPD you may also want to check out the asthma discussion forum:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/asthma-18

For what its worth these I my views smile

• Posted

correction.... these are my views smile wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.