Does anyone have a job that requires a lot of walking

Posted , 4 users are following.

Good morning everyone

I was diagnosed with RA 6 months ago, I take 20mg of MTX, 200mg Paquenil, and 15MG of meloxicam. I am a professional dog exerciser at a high end kennel and my job requires me to walk anywhere from 3 to 5 miles a day, up and down hills and on uneven surfaces 5 days a week. I love my job but...

My RA has always affected my ankles and feet, I have great fitting shoes, but my feet and ankles have been absolutely throwing and stiffening up after work., although they do hurt when I am I am wondering if by doing this job is damaging my joints. I know it's important to keep moving with RA but I wonder if this is too much.

I would love to hear from anyone who does a lot of walking and their experience. Or anyone who may have some advice.

Thanks for listening

Lorraine

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi:

I was diagnosed with RA 15 years ago. Your medication regimin sounds basically like mine, same drugs but somewhat different doses. Ankles and feet seem to be the epicenter of my RA, along with hands and wrists and occassionally a mystery pain in some random part of my body.

As for joint damage, since you started the drugs very early on you should experience NO joint damage. After 15 years, my rheumatologist cannot find joint damage. 

A friend of mine, now deceased, had RA but did not go to the doctor until his hands had the biggest knuckles I had ever seen. He was always in some kind of agony with the RA. His rheumatologist told him that the damage could have been totally avoided if he had just gotten to the doc in time. 

So I really don't think you will have damage. 

BTW, look into antioxidants as a way of lessening inflammation in your body. Google the spice "turmeric". I use it and it really helps. But I am not a doctor, nor do I sell turmeric. Do what seems right for you.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Lorraine!

You first posted three months ago and I am wondering how your dog walking is going.  I am newly diagnosed (less than a month) but also have ankle and foot (and knee) pain and stiffness. AND I walked an English Setter.  (That was the start of my retirement gig after working as a PT for 30 years.)  I have stopped that activity AND my marathon training (I ran one of my best 5ks in years two weeks before my first symptom at the end of Feb.  I haven't run since...)  From what I have read, it is best only to do gentle low impact activities for painful inflamed joints.  I realize you are dealing with your livelihood which makes it tough.  Where I live, many professional dog-care folks take their dogs to an off-leash park where the dogs can run.  I don't know if there is any option like that for you.  Hope things are improving for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.