does anyone have a positive outcome to SCFE

Posted , 3 users are following.

Dear All.

my 12years old son has recently been diagnosed with slight SCFE. He is 5ft 9in at just 12y old and heavy thoiugh not fat. He has been in the NHS system for 12 weeks with a painful hip knee leg. he is a strong rugby player. After waiting for 3 weeks for the Xray to surface and be processed our Gp has rapidly progressed him to a consultant who has admitted him the same day and he is waiting for his hip to be pinned/screwed.

i read here a lot of horror stories and i deeply sympathise with these. But does anyone ever have a positive outcome ? please. many thanks. B

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hey there, I was 15 when i was diagnosed, 6 months from my operation I was back playing rugby smile im currently 20 and at university, and I still play rugby 3 times a week and looking to join the military when I leave smile any questions i'll be happy to help
    • Posted

Dear Hilly.

Many many thanks. a ray of sunlight. my son asks what your rehabilitation / physio was like afterwards.

ta,

• Posted

I wont sugar coat it, it is hard work but just focus on the goal and it makes it alot easier, main advice is once he feels up to and everything is solid with bone structure stretch all day every day haha! I have one leg shorter than the other but through stretching I have only had one injury since then ( sprained ankle which Is just common in sport) maybe useful to get a physio for when he comes off crutches, alot of the rehabilitation is rest and being bored unfortuanetly, alot of it is strengthening the muscles around the pins, last piece of advice is when you feel back to normal dont rush back, eat alot, take time cominng back as admitedly i rushed back and struggled with tonsilitis and such like as i was to skinny from the operation and painkillers etc
    • Posted

many thanks again. i will keep it all in mind. one last question before you go....how long were you on crutches and how long on paiunkillers please.....drat that 2 questions.

thanks again.

• Posted

Um i think painkiller was probably 3 or 4 days from intial operation cause of the scar but not actual hip, as soon as the hip is pinned there is very little pain smile and feels so much better than before, crutches was about 4/5 months i think, with partial weight bearing though so the leg doesnt loose muscle mass, not a problem smile
    • Posted

many thanks again.

you have been a great help. good luck in the forces.

b

• Posted

Not a problem smile hope it all goes well with your son, good luck and in a few years i guarantee he will forget it happened, unless someone reminds me i totally forget about it haha, thank you
  • Posted

Hi B

Sorry, but our experience has not been good! But this is because my son's SUFE was Acute, having been ignored by 2 GP's and he spent 5 hours in surgery having his hip put back together again.  He has been on crutches/wheelchair for nearly 2 years.  Hopefully it sounds as though your son had this caught in time, and he will not develop avascular necrosis.  The main thing is to keep on crutches for 6 weeks after the operation (if it is not an acute slip) and have it checked with regular X-rays for signs of Avascular Necrosis, and have the other hip X-rayed to check for signs of a slip.  The consultant says that most children will develop Osteoarthritis later in life due to the damage suffered by the hip and that there will be leg length discrepancy due to the growth plate being fused to stop any future slips.  I would have thought that as it has been caught in time, your son will be up and around again fairly soon.  If you want any more advice or help, you can contact me through the UK Charity called STEPS, or take a look at the facebook page SUFE/Slipped Upper Femoral (Capital) Epiphysis and request to join, as the more people that join, the more advice can be given out as some people do have good results! Ruth

• Posted

Also, your GP should have referred you to A&E if he suspected a SUFE, not made him wait for an x-ray for 3 weeks, as it should always be treated as an emergency and the child should not be allowed to put weight on the hip, due to the disastrous consequences of leaving it!
    • Posted

Dear TD747 . many thanks. we have moved on at a pace since last week. My son had his operation on Sat am. All seemed to of gone well. Although early days as yet. He got himself out of bed on the same afternoon onto crutches and the Physio was extremely impressed with him. He obviously is still in pain but bright in himself. All looks good at this point. We have been fortunate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.