Does anyone have a post op check?

Posted , 28 users are following.

Hello ladies. I've been reading through some of the recent posts and reading angela's comments today made me wonder just how many ladies have a post op check with their urogynaecologist (not the GP) and if they do when? Ladies who know me know my interest in research and it's something I would like to look into and try and address if I find it's not happening and more importantly why. Financial restraints could be a reason but I could be wrong. I know it's happening in my NHS Trust and naively thought it did everywhere. I'd be grateful if you could help. Many thanks x

3 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No routine post op check in Bucks (Stoke Mandeville). I was seen by my GP...only because I had concerns...and then saw the consultant at 13 weeks post-op as issues still not resolved.

I was told that no follow-up was required but I had an 'open line ' access via the Consultant's secretary (who is an absolute saint!😇wink

• Posted

I was told at pre-op that I would have one at six weeks. I was told at dscharge I would be recalled at six weeks. Six weeks came and went. I chased it up at 9 weeks with the consultant's secretary who said "you should have been sent an appt by now" and booked me in there and then for the following week. So I had mine at 10 weeks.

?Think it is just general inefficiency of the gynae dept though as every appt I've had - or not had - there I've had to chase up. Except pelvic physio!

• Posted

Hi. I was told there is no 6 week follow up just to ring if I thought there is a problem, which I am now experiencing with bladder even though I had rectocele repair. So I am going to ring the consultants secretary next week.
  • Posted

No follow up with urogynaecologist,was told to go to my GP,had to fight to finally get an appointment at the hospital,which was less than satisfactory 
  • Posted

I do I can access her anytime I want. Official post op was 6 weeks and then 6 months. I have seen her 3 or 4 times I'm about 11 weeks I think. But then again I'm in the US

• Posted

Thank you so much for your responses. It's very interesting 😘

• Posted

I had mine at 5 weeks and being seen again at 12 weeks.  I'm glad I had my early check as I think I would have tried to drive and have sex 😂 Oh well hopefully at 3 months I will get cleared 👍🏼

• Posted

You only want answers from people in the U.K., right?
    • Posted

No Dorry I would like responses from everyone on this forum. It doesn't matter where you live I'm interested in your experience. It could be that I contact professionals in other countries x

• Posted

Post op check up 3 months at Northampton General, booked on discharge after op. Glad it wasn't 6 weeks as it was still very sore, so felt 3 months was good.  

Urogynae physio a month after post op check (but I had to send a direct personal email to my surgeon to ask for it).

😌

• Posted

Ok matron, you got it smile

I had follow ups with my surgeon at 2 and 6 weeks post-op.  I was also told to get checked one year post op.  I am in the US. I had a very large rectocele and they used a biological mesh in the repair.

• Posted

Oh, it does seem like a lot of follow up care and while it was reassuring to be checked, they were terrible about returning calls and helping me over the phone when I needed help, which I did early on.  I am so thankful that you were there for me then, but I don't think you should have had to cover for them.  They also gave very little (and poor) advice about what to expect and how to care for myself during recovery.

• Posted

Very poor feedback I feel from most healthcare agencies,wherever you are.I struggled big time post op so was glad to find this forum,don't comment very often but I follow

• Posted

This forum really helped me, too.  I am so thankful for all the ladies who answer questions and share their experiences.  I also loved the book by Sue Croft on recovering from gynaecological surgery.  It really helped me prepare for the surgery and recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.