Does anyone have swelling in 1 let with their sciatica? Bit concerned..

Posted , 7 users are following.

So ive been told i have a trapped nerve in my back i have pain in my buttock (right) , but my right leg is swollen not double the size but enough to notice. I have severe pain down from my buttock , through my thigh especially the inside of my thigh & groin area and what i think are muscle spasms in the effected leg. Is swelling of the leg normal with sciatica or is it something i need to be worries about? Thanks all .

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

If i sit on on my legs or sit an awkward way i get pins and needles , i always have cold feet and does not really hurt to walk occasionally i feel a pulling in my thigh groin but not alot..
  • Posted

Hi Stacey, I think that I have answered your question on another forum. I think I know where Marshall is going. Good questions, BTW. If you are

worried about blood clot (s) aka Deep Vein Thombosis. Sit on the sofa,

extend your right leg in front of you, jut your heel out and pull up your

toes toward your face (use only your right leg muscle to do this test...no hands). If this causes extreme pain in your calf, if there is a hard knot in

your calf that is warm to the touch you probably need to have it checked by a professional ASAP. DVT's do cause swelling, cold or cool areas of

the leg and foot below the level of a clot. The main thing is don't use

warmth to the area and don't try to massage or rub the pain away. That

test is the standard nurses use for their patients but it takes a positive

result and then a follow-up doppler study to definitely rule out a clot.

Good luck Stacey, I wish you well.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with PAD peripheral artery disease last week along I was thinking it was sciatica numbness in legs etc the surgeon looked at my feet and legs as I said it was numb in toes and feet and said PAD

Late father suffered from it lost a leg and ended up with PAD complications Ka heart attack killed him sorry to jump in with this but I saw what you put and was worried

• Posted

Thank u for your reply patricia ive just tested with effected leg and it doesnt cause any pain . Its more the top of my thigh that hurts but also have severe pain in my lower back and buttock. The bad swollen leg is the same temp as the other leg although the bad leg feels as if its burning all over the front and back of the thigh along with pulling almost pinching sensations . Its very odd x
  • Posted

Thats fine marshall im glad u did you have been very helpfull , do u think its worth taking a trip to a&e to get checked out? Im unsure and dont want to waste their time.
  • Posted

The back of my heel is also pretty sore too , its strange when im sat down the whole leg hurts , but if im walking around i dont really notice it. Im unsure what to do
  • Posted

You are very welcome Stacey. The lumbar stenosis pain that I had before surgery sounds very much like what you describe.it ached constantly, but immediately became unbearable as soon as I stood up. trying to walk was a joke, maybe on a good day I could make it for 20 ft if I absolutely had to. Leaning forward eased the pain.....anything that took the pressure off of the Sciatic Nerves did that, but one cannot live 24 hrs every day laying down or sitting...and by the way, that discomfort was improved by leaning forward also. Perhaps if you were to look up Lumbar Stenosis and

Lumbar Disc Prolapse to visualize what might be wtong. Also try to

correlate that with Sciatic pain and then look up the Anatomy of Spinal

Nerves you might have a better idea why you pain is where it is and what could be caused it. It still freaks me out how each Cervical Nerve travels to very specific areas of the hand/arm. C3-C4 caused unending ground

glass type pain and numbness in my left upper extremity from the top of the thumb up the top of the entire arm to the shoulder for 6 solid months and then disappeared as mysteriously as it had appeared. The accident

caused whip-lash and neck stiffness as well as sudden onset of

migraine headaches but no arm pain and numbness that started 3 yrs after the fact. This was all in the early 1980s. Fast forward to late 2011 in to 2012 and all of a sudden I had terrible pain and burning only on the

under side of my left arm between the arm-pit and elbow. MRI showed

severe stenosis and what was explained as "a double sided bone spur at C6-C7. Every time I moved my head to one side or the other pain went from bad burn to shards of burning glass. All the NS could offer was a

C3-C7 SpinaL Fusion that would pretty much render me incapable of

moving my head or Physical Therapy. Well, 3 1/2 months of 30 min each

3 times weekly 1) electrical stim, 2) warm packs and finally 3) deep

tissue massage and the pain resolved. Each nerve reacts differently and I thinks you would be better informed if you were to understand the

whys. Please let me know if my suggestion helps.

Patricia

• Posted

Hello Stacey,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having this struggle, as it doesn't sound very fun! While I'm truly hoping that you've found remedy to your concerns, I'm reaching out because I'm having some issues and have found your thread ironically similar.

I've had very similar symptoms, with the exception of severe pain (mine is more like sore muscles and aches). Thankfully I don't have much pain at all, but otherwise everything else you've stated is pretty much right on. The only addition I have is some sort of pain in my foot and noticed the pain when rolling my foot over a ball to help loosen the muscles.

I too have pins and needles feelings, and also have lots of "tight" sensations, with slight swelling in my right leg. It's definitely not serious swelling but enough to feel right and uncomfortable. My heel is a also causing concern as it's slightly painful as well.

Have you had any luck? Again, I sincerely hope that this is old news for you and that you're back to normal, but I would also be very appreciative of any suggestions and tips of your success.

Thanks,

Spencer

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.