Does anyone here take Dorzolamide HCI/Timelol

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have just recently been put on this medication rather than just the Timelol Maleate because the pressure in one of my eyes was 30! Today I read up on it and found out it can cause fatigue and flu like symptoms! I just came away from feel horrible--sick all over and very tired... and NOW I'm wondering if its the new eye drops. I does give me a horrible taste in my mouth. Thanks to anyone if you can enlighten me on this eye drop.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I used this medicine initially when I was diagnosed for early Glaucoma and also early AMD in Oct, 2015. All the eye drops for glaucoma have dreadful side effects which may or may not appear with every user. This medicine lowered by IOP from 23 each eye to 12 each eye in a month's time. However I had to leave it as it reduced my heart rate to 50 even 48 at times. I did not feel any other serious side effect with this medicine. When I stopped these eye drops, 3-4 other eye drops were used by me. presently I am using Travatan+Azopt. I felt very uncomfortable with Azopt initially but now it is OK after using it for some time.

• Posted

I was taking Dorzolamide Hci when my doctor changed it to Dorzolamide hci/timelol.  

As soon as I put the second drop in my other eye I got an immediate extreme ache in both eyes and a headache.  The headache got worse but not where I wanted to go to emergency room.  It lasted 12 hours.  I took it at night and when I woke up I still had the pain.  I stopped taking it.  Told my doctor but he seemed to brush it off and put me back on the regular Dorzolamide hci.

• Posted

I used this medicine initially when I was diagnosed for early Glaucoma and also early AMD in Oct, 2015. All the eye drops for glaucoma have dreadful side effects which may or may not appear with every user. This medicine lowered my IOP from 23 each eye to 12 each eye in a month's time. However I had to leave it as it reduced my heart rate to 50 even 48 at times. I did not feel any other serious side effect with this medicine. After I stopped these eye drops, 3-4 other eye drops were used by me. presently I am using Travatan+Azopt. I felt  uncomfortable with Azopt initially but now it is almost OK after using it for some time.

I learnt that Timolol part of this medicine mostly  creates problem. It is good that you stopped it immediately that is what one should do in such situations. How do you feel with only Dorzolamide now.

• Posted

Betty, I'm 68 and was diagnosed with glaucoma a year ago. I have been on 4 different durg as I did not tolerate two of them well. One was the Timerol that yes, gave me a terrible, terrible taste in my mouth. I did not have the flu symptoms but felt tired. I hope this helps a bit. 

• Posted

I have wide angle glaucoma and have been taking a variety of medications for about 10 years for high eye pressure and now glaucoma (which showed up about a year ago).  I can take Timelol (solution .5%) without adverse effects, but cannot use anything with Dorzolamide.  I don't react to the Timelol, but i most definitely react to Dorzolamide or anything in combination with Dorzolamide (preservative free or not).  After one drop with Dorzolamide my eyelid starts to become red and i develop a rash over the entire eyelid, the eyelid then drops to cover about half of the eye.

From some medications, i have experienced a metalic-like taste in my mouth which is really unpleasant, but i can't recall which medication caused that.

• Posted

It is the worst eye drop there is. I was hospitalized with vertigo, dizziness and headaches. I had costly neurology tests. Everything came back negative, Then I saw a professor of opthalmology who changed my eye drops and I have no more problems.
    • Posted

And, did the person who prescribed the Dorzolamide not suspect that your symptons might be caused by the drops?  Or did you not think of that possibility?  I am a new member of about 2 hours and already i am seeing the value of this forum.  I think at the very beginning of treatment, many of us view medication via eye drops as something that cannot be particularly harmful to cause such reactions.  Now i know to consider that medications i am being given can cause significant mental and/or physical distress and i always suspect them first.  The first time i had a severe reaction, i called the opthalmologist and told him and he said "it is not the drops" and i said "oh, yes it is" and gave him a clear cause and effect timeline and he began to consider the possibility.  It is a shame that you had to be hospitalized.  After my first experience reacting to drops, if i noticed unusual mental and or physical health changes, i stopped taking the drops...then i called the doctor.

• Posted

Hi

This eye drop is in combination and yes timolol is known to reduce heart rate etc as side effects but with glaucoma eye drops systemic absorption is more only if we are not following the occlusion method i.e pressing the corner of the eye near nose for atleast 2 minutes after the insertion ....

Regards

Surabhi

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.