Does anyone know

Posted , 10 users are following.

Does anyone know what is likely to happen if you dont have the op ? Im really dont think i can face having it done . i always had the palpatations and just thought it was normal never been one for going to Drs. Then in october last year i collasped my 10 yr old called ambulance bless her ! i couldnt breathe properly and got taken off to hospital where i spent a few days they did the ecg and told me i was born with this and need to have op . im thinking ive had it for 40 yrs without too much trouble and the consultant scared me when he explained the risks.i would appreiate any advice i hope you are all ok.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

:D Hi I had the operation last July 09 it did change my life.. and it wasn't that bad... I'm having to have it again though as it didn't work for me.. I had two pathways on one of them has re-routed... I wil have the op again soon. It is worth it for piece of mind....
  • Posted

I've had WPW since I was about 12. I get about 2-3 attacks a year and for years they could last anywhere between five minutes and six hours, really unpleasant especially because I didn't know when the discomfort would end.

I chose not to have an ablation because my doctor told me the risk of WPW actually killing me was not much greater than that of the op itself and I'd rather bear the discomfort than risk keeling over, as it's relatively uncommon for me.

Last year I discovered a way to stop them really easily which has really improved my life massively.

As soon as it happens I breathe deeply, four or five deep breaths, then I fill my lungs and hold my breath for as long as I can - really until I absolutely can't hold it much longer (although be sensible here - I am not suggesting you wait til you're nearly fainting!).

As soon as I let my breath out again it seems to trip my heart back onto its normal track - no idea why but it really works, so far it's not failed me and I hope it never does. Might not work for everyone but give it a go, it's really lovely knowing that I can stop the palpitations on command.

• Posted

I have had catheter ablation for my WPW and I have only since had one or two reocurrances of symptoms/SVT.

I am replying to confirm that I have experienced the same thing prior to my ablation regarding being able to hold my breath for about 5 to 10 seconds to cause my attacks to stop. I've never run into anyone else personally with WPW, and I've never heard someone else agree that this helps. This is the only thing I've found to stop attacks before they come to a stop themselves.

• Posted

I am glad to see other people who share my experiences. I've had palpitations for over 16 years now and it was diagnosed as anxiety attacks until my primary doctor finally sent me to an electro physiologist. I'm having ablation this week, but holding my breath for a few seconds also worked for me. I also noticed that symptoms worsen before and sometimes during my menstrual cycle.
    • Posted

Glad to hear they finally diagnosed your issue, and you're going for an ablation soon. I'm happy to say that I've only had one or two reocurrences of SVT attacks since my ablation. Everyone has particular trigger, and I could see how your body could react different during your menstral cycle.

I will have another follow up soon with my electrophysiologist, and hopefully I do not have any recurrant "bundles of Kent" because that is a definitely possiblity.

Good luck with your surgery, I hope all is well afterwards.

• Posted

Its called the vaging technique as it sends signal up vagus nerve to heart. For more info at least you know what to search for.
  • Posted

Hello, hope all is well for you. I am currently trying to figure out my next step as I was recently diagnosed with WPW. I can't seem to find current information on WPW. I would appreciate it if you could let us know how your situation is going. Thank you.
  • Posted

Hello , I have found not having caffine very helpfull avoiding stress ( not easy ! )

I have managed to carry on pretty much as normal , work 50 hrs a week and rest when I can . One trip to hospital since , definitely a constant worry but I try not to let that take over. Good luck with whatever you decide to do .

• Posted

Hi. I was diagnosed 18 months ago when I had set while in labour. I had had occasional palpitations before that but never thought anything of them. I didn't want the ablation either as the palpitations never bothered me much but I have got fed up of declarations and extra costs for holiday insurance etc. the consultant also said that I should have the ablation before getting pregnant again as wpw worsens in pregnancy. The cardiac nurse also said that although you might not have many problems now, it can worsen over the years and the chance of successful safe treatment decreases as you get older (I am 32). Well, I gave in and had the ablation on Thursday and it honestly wasn't that bad, even though mine turned out to be a bit awkward as it was in the left ventricle it still only took 3.5 hrs (and they said that was long, it's normally only just over an hour) and then two hours lying flat and another hour sitting up with legs still, not the 6-8 hrs they describe on many websites! It was sore the first night and day after but now, 3 days later is just a bit tender so I can do most normal activities again already. Not anywhere near as bad as I thought/read. The only main problems I had were with bad backache from having to lie still (I get backache anyway from lifting my toddler) so I wish I'd maybe gone for a massage a week or so before to loosen my muscles.
  • Posted

Hi I had the operation about 8 years ago it really isn't that bad once its done its done I have not had any problems since. I had to have the operation as I noticed the things I was doing to stop my palpitations started not to work very well ( like holding my breath and splashing freezing water on my face). They tried loads of drugs like beta blockers etc but they made me feel so ill. I was sedated during the operation so I really didn't notice much I felt my heart been induced into palpitations and a burning sensation but that was it.after I was a bit sore and got really bad bruising but after a week it wasn't bad at all. I'd definatly reccomend getting it done.
  • Posted

Hi,

I hope you're well. I would recommend the surgery as WPW will not go away without it and can get worse or lead to different complications of your heart. I had the surgery in '06 when I was 30 and it wasn't sore or restricting afterwards. You do feel a pressure build up in the chest, very hot feeling but you'll have plenty of support in the theatre so you'll be fine. You do need clamped down to the bed for around an hour afterwards as they insert the catheter into your femoral artery. I felt fine afterwards with only bruising around the entry wound. Unfortunately my Palpitations came back so im being referred back to cardiology.

Palpitations can be most unpleasant especially those lasting more than a few minutes. I got rid of them with holding my breath till I almost burst, but you have to release slowly or they could come straight back. otherwise head between the knees/hang your head off end of your bed works well. also try lightly massaging or applying ice to your jugular vein.

Good luck.

• Posted

Okay, you probably almost died and your 10 yr old child had to call an ambulance. The procedure is easy and quick. The recovery is next to nothing. I went to disney two weeks after my procedure. You will be fine. If you want to see your child grow up, then get it done. I was in and out within an hour. Best decision I ever made. I went from not being able to walk ten feet because my palpitations and heart racing was so bad to being able to go to the gym regularly. 
    • Posted

hi samantha,  i also have wpw. Ive been avoiding to have the ablation due to fear. I am a single father and need to look after my kids. you already went tru this, any words of wisdom? Something that can help me out. Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.