Does anyone know if there can be complications for 2 broken pedicle screws at L4-L5 besides pain.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, so I've just been told that I need a revision surgery. I had plif of l4-l5 in sept of 2015. A month ago o felt a pop with immediate pain all on right side and down my leg...Xrays,mris and Cats can show fusion never took place and I have 2 broken lumbar screws at L5. Besides the horrible pain, can anything else happen. I'm trying to work as much as I can,which includes heaving lifting and a bunch of twisting and turning, before surgery. I'm just loading up on pain meds during day and muscle relaxer at night for sleep. I just don't want to injure myself more..Thanks!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

That sounds extremely painful. Could they not tell faster if the fusion hadn't taken?

I had a double fusion 3.5 months ago. Praying that it takes ok.

• Posted

My doctor said only a cat scan can tell if you fuse or not, and my since o was doing so well he just assumed I fused..he says it's pretty uncommon for a level 1 fusion to not take..I'm assuming your from philly? What doc did you use?

• Posted

Hello Diane-Philly

I am thinking that it's what had happened to me too. I had MRI THIS AFTERNOON. THE PAIN IT'S OUT OF THIS WORLD. USE HEAT too that does help a bit ??like a heat sack

• Posted

It's horrible pain..esp for me at night..once I lay in bed I can not move...my hubby has been helping me out if bed in mornings..and the bending of my job is killing me!

• Posted

You should NOT be lifting and twisting. You must take it easy until surgery.
    • Posted

Hey Bob. Do you know what could happen...I'm withing for a second opinion..I'm a wound nurse on a nursing home so I do alot of heavy lifting and tons of bending and twisting..I'm only part time...just don't know what could happen? Could the broken screws move?

• Posted

Diane,

You should not be lifting, especially if it's heavy, nor should you be doing all that twisting and turning! Sorry to sound like your mum there but you just shouldn't be doing any of it. You are probably doing a lot more harm to yourself so please, please don't carry on the way you are doing now.

Linda

• Posted

Haha Linda..you sound like my mom, husband and friends !!! Do you know what harm I can be doing..Waiting to hear back from doc but sometimes I think in their line of work they really don't seemed alarmed bc they've seen it before

• Posted

Can you not tell somebody in work about your back and the lifting etc? I don't know what particular harm you could be doing but it certainly isn't good ??  I'm due to have my second fusion in September, my first one didn't work partly due to the fact I didn't obey the surgeons and thought I knew better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.