Does anyone know of alternative tablets instead of tramadol or could massagers help

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was very concerned about learning of the addictive power that Tramadol can have and would like to know if there is another medication as strong as Tramodol which is not addictive. I also would like to know would a shiatusi massager or something similar could help. I fractured my lower back and the pain is really bad some days.confused

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It really depends on the dosage, it can be addictive on high dosages. Back pain it is normally given for.

I'm on tramadol 200mg SR - Slow Release, this is basically keeps the tramadol level at a certain level all day, 12 hours apart. So, my dose does not spike like standard Tramadol does, which can be very addictive even at 100mg a day.

There are other pain killers, but you would need to ask your doctor, because of the type of pain requires different painkillers.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Thank you Les. My medications are given by a carer so I do not know what strength I am being given. I think I am allowed a tablet four times a day but I use it only when I need it. I have fractured my back so I think I will find out more about my prescription and talk to the doctor about it. I didn't know that Tramadol was addictive and the replies on the forum about withdrawal symptoms I feel I need to speak to a GP hopefully tomorrow. Thank you for all your helpsurprised
  • Posted

Yes there is an alternative, that works!

Ask your doctor for Capsaicin cream. This is applied to the area of pain.

It works by numbing the nerve endings so that the pain message is not sent back to the brain.

Your treating the area of pain only, instead of the whole body with tablets.

If the cream doesn't work for you, you can try a Qutenza patch instead.

I recently had this done at St Thomas's hospital, although personally I think it could be done at home with the use of gloves.

Alternatively, you can order cream and capsaicin patches online.

You can chop up a really hot chilli (using gloves), dry it out, macerate in alcohol for a few weeks, filter and add to cream or patch and always wash hands after use, probably safest to get this from a qualified herbalist though.

• Posted

thank you very much for your reply i will certainly speak to my doctor about this.  thank you again
  • Posted

The only things that compare to tramadol are going to be opioids, all of which are addictive. But careful, judicious use of opiates can be make addiction unlikely. Take the lowest effective dose that you can get by on, and try to skip as many doses as you can stand. If you are in the UK, check out dihydrocodeine. If you are in the US, have a look at hydrocodone. I was given a ridiculous amount of hydrocodone every month for two years, and had no problem stopping it. Of course, I didn't take all I was given. I just wanted to point out that I had access to more than enough to become addicted, but managing it wisely prevented any problems. Although I took it most days, I usually got by on just one or two doses @ day. 
    • Posted

Thank you i am trying to keep my tablets at a minimum but I have heard of a new drug. I think I was on dihydrocodeine before will check with the doctor thank you for replying

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.