Does anyone know what to take for fluid retention?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I am at present taking 2.5mg of bendroflothymizade (sp) and have been taking it for years.  I have been doing the 5:2 diet and stepped it up to 4:3 and have actually put 4lb on.  Pred has not increased my appetite so I am thinking the only thing could be water retention?  Is there anything else I can take for fluid retention.  I drink about 2 to 3 litres of water every day.  

All comments welcome and thank you in advance.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Pat, just avoiding salt can help.  Also including lots of known diuretic-type foods in your diet such as asparagus, celery, garlic, fennel, melon. 
    • Posted

Thank you Mrs. O, am going shopping soon.  I have garlic and will probably get some melon today and maybe some asparagus.  The others I will pass on for now but  thank you anyway.  
    • Posted

You know, I left England 44 years ago, and I had never eaten asparagus.  Over here in Germany the season for it is from the beginning of May to 22nd June.  We are by then in the strawberry season.  We are inclined to keep to the seasons here.  We live in a farming area so we have farmer's markets 2 or 3 times a week, also there are numerous farm shops.  Mostly they 'pick' on the same day as they sell.  Great, isn't it?
    • Posted

Great for you, indeed, Constance.  Our asparagus season here is very short and, of course, the imported stuff doesn't match it.  Strawberry season here is in full flow - we're having some beauties from some plants we put in our garden last year.
    • Posted

Constance you lucky girl, living near farmer's markets, I would be in it all the time.  I love cooking from scratch, when I am able.  I love fresh vegatables, spinach, cauliflower, all veggies.  
  • Posted

The NHS and the European Food Safety Authority recommends that women should drink about 1.6 litres of fluid and men should drink about 2.0 litres of fluid per day. That's about eight glasses of 200ml each for a woman, and 10 glasses of 200ml each for a man.

That is about half of what you are drinking now.

• Posted

Yes lodger, 8 glasses of water or maybe more in one day.  Tnks anyway.
    • Posted

I'm never clear whether tea, coffee, beer, wine, etc etc are included in this fluid intake.  I hope they are or I'm in trouble!😏😏
    • Posted

Ha, Constance.  Tea is included in the fluid intake, but the rest..........!!!!!!  Take plenty of water with it!
    • Posted

Constance I think they are included, so you're doing alright girl,
    • Posted

The rest lol  If I could only say yes an a wee tipple or two, but sure I don't drink.  
    • Posted

Wine does not count sadly but coffee, tea, fizzy drinks even count towards fluid intake. 
  • Posted

I've been drinking cranberry tea and dandelion tea. it's supposed to help. And I've kept my fluid intake high. sounds counterintuitive but that's what's supposed to work.
    • Posted

Hi Lisa, thank you for giving me the heads up on the cranberry and dandelion tea, I do drink a lot of water and I know what you mean about counterintuitive, but hey ho I'll give it a go.  Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.