Does arthroscopic surgery usually lead to tkr and if so how long?

Posted , 8 users are following.

After opting for arthroscopic surgery for a torn meniscus and chondromalacia does it ever work for years? Or, does that kind of surgery usually buy you only a few months and then you need a tkr? Has anyone had arthrosopic surgery that it lasted for years?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Can work for years, you can alwasy have your patella removed if thats where the chondromalacia.  Torn meniscus does not mean knee replacement further down the road.  You have replacements only if you are bone on bone
  • Posted

I had an arthrosphy which lasted 7 years before I had to have a tkr. My surgeon originally said it would only last 5 years so got 2 extra years before the tkr!!
  • Posted

My friend is ten years since hers and doing fine. My daughter-in-law's mother had hers five years ago and has had pain since her surgery.

I don't think there are any absolute guarantees when it comes to knees!

I would add, though, that my daughter-in-law's mom HAD had a fall which injured her knee prior to the arthroscopic surgery. It could be that there were additional issues that weren't corrected with the arthroscopic surgery.

• Posted

My arthroscopic surgery along with Supartz injections lasted 5 years and took me up and down Mt Kilimanjaro!
  • Posted

Wow you guys. Thank you so much for all the great information, experience, strength and hope.

So helpful.

• Posted

Hi,

No it doesn't mean you'll meed a TKR usually just keyhole clearing out of tissue that may get trapped the the joint. I've had a knee devoid of cartilage for years, as long as your quads are good your knee should stay stable enough. Only when it becomes too painful to bear will you need a total knee replacement. But if you're young that shouldn't be for a long while yet. Build up your quads and the joint should be OK.

• Posted

I had my first arthroscopy for torn meniscus and chondromalacia in 2003 and the second in 2014. However, I now need a TKR!  So the arthroscopy lasted well, but eventually a replacement needed. You don't say how old you are you, I'm 67 and did a lot of sports, running, etc till I reached 40 .... knees (both need TKR!) started going downhill after that!
  • Posted

Hi

Unfortunately I had an arthroscopy on 8th Sept 15 and was told before it may not work but had to try as was running out of alternatives. He did tell me in recovery and again at 6 weeks post op my knee was very badly damaged inside, he took away aht he could but I would need a TKR. After the arthroscopy my knee was in a bad way, off work for 13 weeks, then only work 2-3 hrs a day, and not able to do much else, on a lot pain relief and in Dec went on morphine. I had also had steroid injections and durolane injections. I went private in March this year(2016) for the TKR as NHS wait was Feb 2017 and my life was unliveable. the difference is unreal, yes not able to do much but so different to last 7 months, I have a life, happy again and start to do things, still a little pain but a totally different pain and it lesson hourly. Sorry this is not s positive as other posts. Ask your consultant what the damage in your knee is like.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.